Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Finn
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m wondering how to teach a dog TO jump up on command. I show a young clumber spaniel who is full of energy and likes to goof around in the ring, but she also is easily distracted. I’d like to teach her a few cues that can let her be silly in the ring and keep it interesting, but also keep her focused on me. I plan to teach her to spin and also wanted to teach her to jump up on me on command. Is this a terrible idea? I seem to recall someone saying they had done this with their dog. If it’s not a bad idea, how would one teach it?

·
Super Moderator
2,546 Posts
Lots of people. Years ago I was told that to teach a dog to not jump randomly, you have to add a command to the behavior. I doubt that’s true but all of my dogs jump up on me on command.

·
Super Moderator
1,705 Posts
I taught Eevee to jump on me on command. I hold my arm out like a bar and tell her “paws” and she will put her front feet on my forearm.

Reactions: FinnTheFloof

·
Super Moderator
3,360 Posts
Both of mine do. Kaizer can jump on me on cue and can jump up in the air (no contact with me) on cue. Eden just jumps on me on cue (she basically just uses me as a springboard, she has a lot of fun with it lol). Neither dog is allowed to jump on another person, ever, and only allowed to jump on me when asked. They seem to understand that, I’ve never had an issue.

It was a natural behavior in both dogs. It’s self-rewarding and pretty naturally engaging, so there’s a limited amount of training involved (especially if your Clumber is already bouncy).

·
Registered
Finn
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Teach her to jump - but keep her paws off. Look up hand touch on youtube.
Ooh, that is a great idea! Can’t believe I didn’t think of that! Finn loooves the touch game, it’s one of his favorites. Great for engagement! Thank you for the suggestion!

·
Registered
Finn
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I taught Eevee to jump on me on command. I hold my arm out like a bar and tell her “paws” and she will put her front feet on my forearm.
I was worried that because clumber is short, it would be too much bending over and awkwardness to ask her for that. I have also taught that to Finn, so I know how to teach it if it seems like it would work! Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
Finn
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both of mine do. Kaizer can jump on me on cue and can jump up in the air (no contact with me) on cue. Eden just jumps on me on cue (she basically just uses me as a springboard, she has a lot of fun with it lol). Neither dog is allowed to jump on another person, ever, and only allowed to jump on me when asked. They seem to understand that, I’ve never had an issue.

It was a natural behavior in both dogs. It’s self-rewarding and pretty naturally engaging, so there’s a limited amount of training involved (especially if your Clumber is already bouncy).
Lots of people. Years ago I was told that to teach a dog to not jump randomly, you have to add a command to the behavior. I doubt that’s true but all of my dogs jump up on me on command.
So would teaching it just be getting her riled enough to jump up, then rewarding and adding a cue?

·
Super Moderator
3,360 Posts
I never rewarded Eden’s cause it’s inherently rewarding for her. Just added a cue and made a game of it. She was sold pretty quickly.

Kaizer is not a bouncy dog, but needed some channels for all his nervous energy so I taught him to jump with a nose to hand touch like Megora mentioned. I rewarded him with food

·
Super Moderator
1,705 Posts
I didn’t really have to motivate Eevee to do it. Lol I just redirected a behavior a didn’t want into one I asked for. I hate redirection most of the time, but it mostly worked for that. I added a “kiss” cue after her paws were up for her to lick my face. Lol

·
Registered
Finn
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn’t really have to motivate Eevee to do it. Lol I just redirected a behavior a didn’t want into one I asked for. I hate redirection most of the time, but it mostly worked for that. I added a “kiss” cue after her paws were up for her to lick my face. Lol
I taught Finn by teaching him to target my hand, then put my hand on my arm, then once he could do one, I had him target the other as well. Now he still does one after another, but does both no problem!

Reactions: ArkansasGold

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I do touch holding my hand up in the air for him to jump up/nose touch when he’s finished something we’re training and done well. Then I tell him good job and pet him happily.

I’ve also taught paws up onto my arm while I’m standing for a trick.

·
Super Moderator
2,608 Posts
I taught mine to do that as well using treats, was pretty easy and very cute. I like hugging them as they do that too haha

·
Registered
44 Posts
We do "dance dance!". We shake our hips, put our hands out, and say "Dance dance!" and our pup jumps up and "dances" with us for a few seconds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts