Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi,

Just wanted to post this thread to see if anyone has head of or has conversed with the people over at Wisteria Goldens. I am interested in two of their upcoming litters (Summer/Chance and Trinity/Tahoe). They seem reputable with their clearances but i was not sure - I am still quite the novice when it comes to knowing what to look for, but it seems legit?

If someone could let me know what they think, that would be awesome ...

Thanks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
..."health clearances available on request".
If the clearances were good/excellent, they'd be on the website already.
The fact that they're not means you need to follow them up fully.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
All Chance has is an inadequate (worth nothing) heart clearance. Nothing else.
Not going to waste my time looking up the rest of them but when one breeds a dog with no health clearances, one is not a good breeder. When a breeder lies on their site, it's even worse. "Normal elbows' on his page. If he had normal elbows it would be on OFA since there is no option to not publish passing finals. Nada there.

·
Puddles
4,024 Posts
I agree and would not call this an ethical breeder. Take a minute to read the breed standard, these dogs are really big/over standard, bulky build. Golden retrievers are an athletic, sporting breed.
This breeder imported dogs from Romania to make and sell puppies, no other purpose. There are no OFA clearances other than inadequate heart clearance. The way it is usually done with imports from Serbia/Russia/Romania or even Ireland is they test in the other country, some as early as 3 months. I'm a big believer in if you breed & sell puppies in the US you need to follow the guidelines of this country. Hips/elbows done after the dog is grown... 24 months. Heart should be done by a cardiologist and eyes should be done every 12 months. A quality breeder will be active in some sort of venue... international titles in the dogs background mean nothing, just for show. If the CURRENT breeder is not doing anything with their dogs other than making puppies, run away and keep looking.
Remember anyone can make a website, just because people put information on the sight doesn't mean it's true. Verify by looking it up on OFA.org. For a breeder to post pen hip results as mild... and still breeds this dog, shame on them. If you think this dog has mild hip dysplasia the right think to do would be to spay and remove from your breeding program. Just a hint in your search.... reputable breeders don't use English Cream as a selling point. English cream is not a breed. Just a marketing ploy to get you to spend money on a puppy with no added value or health.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Between all 4 of these dogs there should be 16 verifiable health certifications in place. Instead there is a total of 3. Both moms are underage and can’t have full certifications and one of the dads is lacking majorly. I would say run from this type of breeder especially with the very high (amount 3k) price tag. For that you should get parents with full and verifiable health certifications, verifiable health certifications on the generations behind them and parents that compete and title to show they are more than a puppy factory on four legs.

If you need more information on health certifications and how to verify them, you should find this helpful.

Summer - no appropriate verifiable health certifications. https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=2099071

Trinity - no appropriate verifiable health certifications. https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=2099069

Chance - no appropriate verifiable health certifications. https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?appnum=1896572

Tahoe - Hips, elbows and heart in order, eyes need updated. He shows they do know how to get full certification. https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?appnum=1722254

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am no expert on health certifications BUT I have experience with Wisteria Goldens.In 2009 I got my boy Tripper from Frank and Debbie after my boy Skipper passed away from bone cancer(also a golden).Tripper was smart,sweet and healthy.When he passed away from bone cancer at 10 years of age I adopted Piper and Jazz who were being retired as breeders from Wisteria Goldens.Their grandfather was my Trippers father.They are smart sweet and healthy.I have been to Wisteria Goldens kennels,Debbie’s house is running over with mothers and pups.The kennels are really nice and yes there is a pond.They truly are raised as part of family.I agree that appears they are having a lot of litters(to many born of one female) their dogs for sure are bred for temperament.Sweet gentle and super smart.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

Just wanted to post this thread to see if anyone has head of or has conversed with the people over at Wisteria Goldens. I am interested in two of their upcoming litters (Summer/Chance and Trinity/Tahoe). They seem reputable with their clearances but i was not sure - I am still quite the novice when it comes to knowing what to look for, but it seems legit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

Thanks!
Hi,

Thanks!
Just wondering if you ever got a fur baby.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts