Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a late night last night and was planning to sleep in when I heard screaming. I come down and my poor puppy was bleeding from his paw- a lot of blood!! We got the bleeding under control and I was thinking maybe I could just clean it and bandage it and then maybe take him to our normal vet tomorrow to make sure it's clean.

I ended up calling a different vet who is open on Sundays to be safe and decided to bring him in so they could really clean it out. He ended up needing stitches and possibly a splint (if the cut is deep enough to affect tendons). It's going to cost anywhere from $400-$500. Yikes! And I had to leave poor Harvey at the vet to get fixed up. I can't wait to go get my boy back and I hope he won't be in too much pain.

I just wanted to post this as a warning to others with similar edging in their yard. It's an edging to separate rocks from grass and you can buy plastic to put over it. We actually have plastic over it but it's missing in a few spots from hitting it with the lawnmower. As soon as this snow melts, I will be replacing it though.

The vet said it is a VERY common injury in the winter b/c the snow is covering and the dogs either run over it or dig around it and get cut. Also, if it does happen- take your dog to the vet to be safe b/c it can get infected.

Don't learn the painful and expensive way like Harvey and I did.

Well I'm off to clean up the carpets. My house looks like a crime scene!!
Any tips on getting blood out of a white carpet??

·
Registered
869 Posts
I use to use salt water to gt blood out of a white uniform, that or peroxide. But I would test in a hidden area. Definitely cold, not hot water. Some of the spot shots would probably work also.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Stiches in his paw? Poor baby, that's got to hurt. I imagine it's going to be slow healing too, or at least you're going to be aware of it until it is all the way healed -- having to keep an eye on him so he doesn't bother it too much, especially when it starts itching.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Ouch! Poor Harvey and poor you. I hope Harvey heals quickly. I don't have edging in my landscape but I'll be sure to look out for it now.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Oh, poor Harvey. His foot is going to be very sore with the stitches. I am so sorry this happened to him, and to you! These Vet bills are really something, aren't they? Sending hugs and healing thoughts to poor Harvey, that he will heal quickly. :smooch:

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Poor Harvey. Are you going to get him some boots to wear outside to be on the safe side? I think I would. That had to have been so scary. I remember years ago when my Beau cut his dew pad almost completely off and blood was everywhere. It hurt him so bad and he had to go to the vet every 3 days to get the bandage changed until the glue stuck the pad back together till the stitches would stay in.
Give Harvey a big hug and kiss for being so brave.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice and good wishes! It's greatly appreciated. It has not been a good week. My dad is in a ton of pain getting ready to have a laminectomy/spinal decompression on Thursday and then this happened!! I think I've been to a doctor, vet, or hospital every day this week except Saturday!

He cut his paw pretty badly but he did great with the surgery and is home resting now. He seems comfortable. I'm more worried about trying to keep him from running all over and trying to keep him dry, considering there is a ton of snow out there!!

The vet gave me an IV bag to tie around his paw and then I've also been putting a newspaper sleeve around it too but I'm not too pleased with how it's working and I'm scared to death to take him outside. I shoveled the back patio and a portion of the grass so at least the snow isn't as high.

Does anyone have advice on keeping a puppy calm during recovery? I'm hoping the pain meds/antibiotic might help make him tired- and maybe some Rescue Relief too?

Also- advice on keeping the paw/leg dry would be greatly appreciated- where do you buy these boots?? I'll probably stop at the store and look for something tomorrow.

OH and one more thing- I had to go to a new vet today b/c they are the only one open on Sunday by me- and it's not an emergency clinic, they just stay open Sundays (no extra charge). It ended up costing $527 plus they want me to come back every 2-3 days for them to change the bandage for $20 extra each time.

This is my first dog and my first dog injury so I'm not sure what's normal. I'd feel better if it was my normal vet b/c I trust him. But anyway - does $527 seem reasonable to suture an injured paw? It was a semi-deep cut and they did have to put him under but it still seems high to me.

Thank goodness for this place!! It's so nice to have people understand how worried you are about your dog and not think you're crazy!

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
So sorry Harvey and you had to go though this, I would keep him on leash for a little while until his paw is healed.

Sending hugs for Harvey and a quick recovery!

·
Registered
255 Posts
That price is probably the going rate - I am not sure though. Knock on wood, I haven't had to deal with that myself. BUT, as for the $20 bandaging, you could mention to your vet that you did JUST PAY $500+ dollars for everything else and maybe he/she could cut you a break on that? It doesn't hurt to ask... all they can say is no. And you can always guilt them by saying if not, you will just do it yourself at home. If they are looking out for the welfare of your pet they will surely be persuaded by that argument...

In my opinion it doesn't hurt to ask...

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
As for keeping your puppy calm, try some high-value chew treats when he's most active. Bully sticks, marrow bones, antlers are good too! This is a great way to focus your dog's energy and chewing is very calming ... good for the teeth too :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts