Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm going to be getting my puppy in a few weeks and want to be all ready for when he arrives! I really want to get him a harness for when he's 8-14ish weeks but am unsure as to what size would fit him? He's a show-line golden and was 19-21oz at birth.
Any helpful info?

·
Puddles
4,024 Posts
I went to dollar general... it was adjustable and these guys grow quickly. They only had two sizes and it was obvious one was for a toy dog with tiny straps so picked the other, think it was less than $4.
I also picked up a bunch of toys, some squishy, some were soft, some for chewing, a rope toy. LOL I don't think she was interested in any of them. She wanted to snuggle and sleep... it was a really long trip.
Congratulation! I know the wait is the hardest part. Pictures are required :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone! I definitely plan on buying a cheap one since I know it wont last long :) I will post pictures next week when I got to visit!

·
Registered
137 Posts
It depends on the harness and how adjustable they are. We waited a few weeks till our puppy could fit the "small" from Ruffwear (13 weeks now) - https://ruffwear.com/products/front-range-harness

Sizing recommendations are based on the "rib cage" and found at the page above

Its incredibly comfortable, really well made and doesn't cut under the arms or into the puppy's skin like some other harnesses. The small just barely fits at the tightest setting so we have a few months to a year before we upgrade to the medium

They also have great value so you might be able to find them for half the price or less used/ be able to sell yours

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well - take if from someone who purchased too big at the beginning. Buy a size "small" - I picked up my pup @ 6 weeks old and he's now 10.5 weeks and still in his small harness. He'll probably graduate next week to his medium harness as the band around his chest is the largest it'll go now. Prepare to re-size it every 3-5 days!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts