Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Dec 22, 2009 we had to say goodbye to our most loved companion Jax. He was 10 yrs old and had to leave us far too soon. A week prior he started to limp and we though it was a muscle sprain, or at worst, his hips we starting. After a few days of limping we decided to take him in to get looked at. Our Vet poked and prodded to no avail.
Jax never flinched or showed any sign of pain while getting checked out. We took him back for xrays a few days later to see what was wrong. He was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma in the left hind leg.(Bone cancer)
I can't express how sad and upset we were about this. The Vet explained our options for him. We went home, spent the whole night with Jax and in the morning decided that we could no longer let him suffer. We spent the whole day with him, went for a nice drive where we would usually take him for swims and cried an awful lot.
What a painful experience, but we have to remember how special he was to us, and what a great life we gave him. In the following days leading up to Christmas, we were lost without him. It did not seem like Christmas at all. Nobody there in the morning to warm my feet while reading th paper and having my coffee, coming home to an empty house...it just wasn't the same. Well, after thinking how we are not complete without our furry friend, I decided to go ahead and inquire about another golden. We weren't too sure how long to wait with just losing Jax, but I thought it would be a good idea to "look"....As luck would have it I came across a reputable breeder(Braefield) who had some boys available...now. After speaking to the family about it, we decided to go and have a "look" at the pups. They were absolutely beautiful. Well to make a long story short, we now have Hank(Breafield's I'm free at Last) Born to Simon and Caleigh on Nov 7, 2009. What a bundle of joy!! We are looking forward to our lives together.

·
Chloe and Cedar's Mom
718 Posts
Im sorry to here about your boy Jax. Its so hard to lose a pet.. I dread the day when I have to make that decision! But Im so glad you got a new dog so fast. I think that is what I will honestly do.. Some people think you should wait, but honestly, I think that our Goldens would have wanted us to find another buddy to help fill the void, since they no longer can!

I have to mention that Braefield was a sister breeder to my Chloes breeder, Gerrets Kennels in Cayuga.. They no longer breed, but Im pretty sure they lived next door to one another, and bred together.. Chloe is the best dog I have ever owned, so I have no doubt that your new little guy will bring you many happy years!!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Awe I'm sorry for your loss, I have never been able to wait for a long period of time before getting another dog when we lose one, it just isn't the same coming home to an empty house!

Congrats on your new bundle, look forward to seeing pics of Hank!

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Jax :( I can tell that he was loved by a wonderful family. So many of us on here have lost our best friends to cancer and it does not get any easier for us when another succumbs to it. Sending lots of hugs your way!

On the other hand, congratulations on your new puppy :) We are looking forward to seeing pics and I do hope that you stick around here so we can watch him grow!

Seeing as your breeder is Braefield, you must live in Ontario? Whereabouts? There is a group of about 20 of us on here who try to get together about once every other month for a golden retriever play date. It would be great to be able to meet you when Hank has all of his shots!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. My Murphy was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma in July, so I know how hard it is to make that decision. Jax must have sent you Hank to let you know he was ok.

Good luck with your new pup!

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. But overjoyed for your new addition. We only get to borrow them for a short time before they're called to a higher duty. But they always seem to have a hand in finding another for us to continue our education about life and love.

·
3 goldens
12,186 Posts
Yourstory is so familair. My 12 year old irish Setter started to limp and we thought it was his arthrits. It was gone cancer in his rear leg right at his knee. Like you we mulled the options and decided she he was almost 12 1/2 and had arthrits, amputation, etc was out. We had him exactly 10 weeks to the day before we let him go and even then we could have kept him a little longer, but we knew it had spread to front let and we decided to let him go while he was still able to enjoy life, not let him suffer. We let him go July 9, 1997.

I know many can't get another dog right awy, but I always have. I think this says a lot for the dog just losts. They were so deeply in your life you just can't imagine not having another. Is like eating the potato chips--when one is gone you hve to have another. Good luck with your new puppy and I know Jax is happy that you have another dog in your life.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I am so sorry to read of your losing your boy Jax. In the end you gave him the greatest gift of all, no more pain and suffering for him. It is never easy but unfortunately comes with all the joys they give us. Here is a link to a website I have found great comfort in in times like this The Star

I am sure he was watching over you in those days following his departure helping you to make the decision to add another to your family, nudging you along to do it. He is waiting at the Bridge for you with a big smile on his face knowing he did good!

·
Luke, Maggie, and Tucker
3,045 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. Sweet Jax sounds like he was a much loved pup and you guys made a difficult and unselfish decision in releasing him from his pain.

I look forward to hearing more about Hank.

Big hugs.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I'm sorry you lost Jax so soon. 10 years is way too young and so unfair. Bless you.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
I'm so sorry for the loss of Jax....we lost one of our boys last March so know how it feels. We were blessed with 2 more GRs puppies shortly thereafter.....they're wonderful.

I was actually just looking at the Braefield's website last night....they have beautiful dogs.....congratulations on your little Hank......looking forward to seeing some pictures!!

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I am so sorry for the loss of your loss of Jax, it is so difficult...glad you are getting another puppy, that will help fill the void, Im srue.

·
Registered
13,732 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of your loss of Jax - but happy to hear you've already opened your heart to another golden boy :)

·
MEG
1,568 Posts
Sorry to hear of the loss pf your much loved Jax. Bless you for making the very hard but brave and unselfish decsion.
Congrats on the new addition. Another journey is just beginning. Hope we can share it with you.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
So very sorry for your loss of Jax. All too many of us have lost our beloved golden's to cancer of one form or another. I'm also glad you found a new golden. Golden puppies are great healers of broken hearts.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Sorry you lost your beloved Jax, so very hard to say goodbye to our faithful and beloved ones. Hope you new bundle of fluff,brings much love and happiness into your life.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I got Max as soon as Willow's health started to fail. Hopefully she will live until she's 16 years old but if she doesn't, I have Max to hug onto as I cry and cry.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
So sorry for your loss of Jax, you ended his pain but sadly yours has now begun. There is never a "right" length of time to wait before thinking of opening your hearts to another golden (or any other dog) but in my opinion you have done the right thing. Little Hank will never replace Jax, but with him you will build memories just as you did with Jax.

Run free now free from pain and sleep softly Jax

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I am so very sorry to hear of your loss of Jax. It is so hard to say goodbye and live without them.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Welcome to the forum and my condolences on your loss of Jax.

We lost our previous golden, a 9 year old, to cancer 1 year ago. We were devastated and I still have a hard time when I think about him...and I do often.

Getting another dog after losing one can be a difficult thing to do. Some folks can do it right away, some folks can't do it for a long time. There are no right or wrong answers.
We do it as quick as possible. We lost a German Sgepherd in 2000 and had our first golden 3 days later. When Rusty died last year, we made arrangements to get our new girl within a day.

Hank will never replace Jax. You will fall in love with him, but you will always remember Jax and he will always be close to your heart.

I hope you will stick around and share with us some stories of the life of Jax...we would like to get to know him as you did. I hope you will also stay and share Hank's life with us.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts