Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a little early..... sincere thanks and appreciation to all our veterans and active military for their incredible service to our country. My husband is an Air Force retiree and he is getting some emails today about free or discounted deals for veterans tomorrow: 11/11/11. Here is the link (a little early) so our forum veterans can review in advance and take advantage of tomorrow:

2011 Veteran's Day Free Meals and Discounts

Special thanks go to our forum veterans and active military. :appl:

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
I just called my dad and wished him a Happy Vet's Day! I'd like to pass that on to all the Veteran's Today...

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts

To my wonderful SIL Mike, I love you honey and so proud. Mike is a Marine Pilot (Major) now stationed with my daughter (was a Navy nurse, now regular nurse) in Washington DC. Miss them and my grandkids so much.

Want to thank ALL of our military and send hugs to their families. Our past and future is written by these wonderful people who are watching our backs. This is the day to remember each of the ones before, now and to the future. We are free and still the best country in the world to me because of them.

I am a very, very proud Military Momma!

(And to Charlie their Golden, I love you too and know you take care of my loved ones)

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Thank you and Happy Veteran's Day to all who have served so that we may enjoy the freedoms we have here in this incredible country! And a huge thank you, as well, to their families.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,578 Posts
Thank you to all our Active Duty Military and Veterans for their service to our Country. A very special thank you to their families for the sacrifices they made while their spouses and family members were serving our Country.

My hubby is a Viet Nam Vet, he has a Purple Heart. Unfortunately his service to our Country is something he is not proud of even to this day after all these years.

There are thousands of homeless Veterans throughout the US-Camp Stand Down.org is one organization that helps Veterans. This group has been featured on 60 Minutes several times.

Stand Down - help for homeless veterans with addictions

Veterans Village of San Diego :: Stand Down

Visit this site below, click on the VETERANS tab daily to provide free meals for Vets. Purchases of items from this site also help provide meals to homeless Veterans.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/...Id=10&link=ctg_vet_home_from_bcs_home_sitenav

In Honor of Veterans Day, the Carrier Classic is being played tonight aboard the USS Carl Vinson.

Michigan St. VS. North Carolina, game time is 7 ET and will be shown on ESPN. This is the first NCAA Men's Basketball game ever to be played aboard an Aircraft Carrier.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Carolina Mom:

Thank you for the link to The Veterans Site, I ordered a couple of tee-shirts for both of us!

Tell your husband I understand as I am of the Vietnam area too. Is he watching the special on the History Channel called Vietnam HD? Facinating, yet brings back so many tears of lost friends. I feel almost compelled to watch, cause this was MY time, but some parts are very hard to see again.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,578 Posts
Carolina Mom:

Thank you for the link to The Veterans Site, I ordered a couple of tee-shirts for both of us!

Tell your husband I understand as I am of the Vietnam area too. Is he watching the special on the History Channel called Vietnam HD? Facinating, yet brings back so many tears of lost friends. I feel almost compelled to watch, cause this was MY time, but some parts are very hard to see again.
I don't think he'll watch it-that entire era was such a volatile time in our history between the war itself, all the demonstrations, etc. My hubby was only 19 when he was in Viet Nam, so young, too young to have seen and experience what he did. For the most part he doesn't talk about it, basically something he wants to forget about I think.

The town next to me is dedicating a new Purple Heart Memorial today-he doesn't even want to go to that.

My dad served in the Army and my FIL was in the Navy-Happy Veterans day to them both in Heaven.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Tell him for my hubby & I he was/is our hero. He fought for what he believed in and pride of self and country. That makes him a huge hero to me. The ones that came home to us didn't have a part in the politics, but paid the price with their lives and had to come home to a very disgruntled America. I am so sorry for this and hopefully time will help him find peace. But Nam was special, our guys and girls hero's. Wish he could see our DFW airport with old Nam Vets greeting the soldiers as they arrive. They didn't want "Their" war, but are doing their best to make sure the soldiers "Now" know they are loved and appreciated. The planes are always greeted and mostly by veterans. We have also greeted planes, though not military ourselves, our daughter and son-in-law ARE and want these kids to know we care.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Happy Veterans day to all veterans and active duty service members.

I am a proud Navy wife and want to also thank all the military families, specially all military children, havign 3 myself I know first hand how hard it is for little ones when daddy/mommy deploys, here is to them too:

"My children are military dependents. They have had to move often and make new friends wherever they go. They have spent holidays and birthdays with only one parent, and no extended family in sight. They are brave and strong; like their country. People have asked "How can you do that to them?" and I say, "How can I not? Someone has to protect our freedom and rescue our loved ones." They are proud of their military parent!"

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,578 Posts
Tell him for my hubby & I he was/is our hero. He fought for what he believed in and pride of self and country. That makes him a huge hero to me. The ones that came home to us didn't have a part in the politics, but paid the price with their lives and had to come home to a very disgruntled America. I am so sorry for this and hopefully time will help him find peace. But Nam was special, our guys and girls hero's. Wish he could see our DFW airport with old Nam Vets greeting the soldiers as they arrive. They didn't want "Their" war, but are doing their best to make sure the soldiers "Now" know they are loved and appreciated. The planes are always greeted and mostly by veterans. We have also greeted planes, though not military ourselves, our daughter and son-in-law ARE and want these kids to know we care.
Thank you!

I live close to the Largest Marine Corp base located on the East Coast. I am so thankful times have changed and the Military today are being recognized, honored, and thanked for their service and sacrifices. It's overwhelming to see people lined up along the highway between the Port where the Troops return and travel along the route back to the base. People are waving flags, honking, it's awesome. Thank god America has come this far.

When my hubby returned from Viet Nam he was called a lot of things, Hero wasn't one of them. None of the Viet Nam Vets were thanked or even recognized until the last several years.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
If you've ever lived outside this beautiful country (there are many beautiful countries), you so appreciate all the freedoms we have. My heart goes out to all Vetrans, and their families; today and always. Thank You!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Bumping up again to say thank you to all those that are serving, or have served our country! My hubby spent 10.5 years active duty in the Navy, is now an inactive reservist, and I couldn't be more proud of him. It's not an easy life, it takes many sacrifices and courage, and something we should all be very thankful for, not just today but every day.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you!

I live close to the Largest Marine Corp base located on the East Coast. I am so thankful times have changed and the Military today are being recognized, honored, and thanked for their service and sacrifices. It's overwhelming to see people lined up along the highway between the Port where the Troops return and travel along the route back to the base. People are waving flags, honking, it's awesome. Thank god America has come this far.

When my hubby returned from Viet Nam he was called a lot of things, Hero wasn't one of them. None of the Viet Nam Vets were thanked or even recognized until the last several years.
Hubby and I were just talking about how times are different now for our military and veterans and how terrible it was for the Viet Nam vets--what a dark time in our country that people shunned and cursed at young men who were in many cases involuntarily drafted to go fight for a war. Please tell your husband many of us do understand and do appreciate his sacrifice and service to our country.

The Boy Scouts were up early this morning putting the flags out in the neighborhood for Veterans Day--what a beautiful sight to see those flags flying in the breeze on such a beautiful, and peaceful day.

Here's to our military heroes, past and present: :You_Rock_:appl::appl:

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hubby and I were just talking about how times are different now for our military and veterans and how terrible it was for the Viet Nam vets--what a dark time in our country that people shunned and cursed at young men who were in many cases involuntarily drafted to go fight for a war. Please tell your husband many of us do understand and do appreciate his sacrifice and service to our country.

The Boy Scouts were up early this morning putting the flags out in the neighborhood for Veterans Day--what a beautiful sight to see those flags flying in the breeze on such a beautiful, and peaceful day.

Here's to our military heroes, past and present: :You_Rock_:appl::appl:

I totally agree! My husband is a USAF retiree that just missed Vietnam. He was commissioned in 1974. Our fighting men and women from every war deserve our respect and gratitude.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Just went back and read over this entire thread and am so proud of the GRF group. Makes my heart swell with pride for ALL our country. We fall, we fail, but we are made up of the dang'est bunch and together over the centuries we have built a country like no other. Our Military to this day protect this and the families of those who leave to fight, raise their children to hold their heads up high. I...am proud

(And forgive me, know I always right a novel)

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hubby got me out of the house this afternoon, to just get a change of scenery from the news at Toby's veterinary visit. He wanted to go to Chilis for his free meal. It brought tears to my eyes to see all the very elderly and frail veterans (probably from WWII and the Korean wars) sitting there eating with their families (grand children) while in their uniforms! The young waitstaff was so kind to them too. The MOD went by and shook hands and carried on conversations with them, asking about their service. It was really such a sweet experience.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts