Mercy Miracle (M&M)
5,097 Posts

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,800 Posts
Goldie, The University of Tulsa's Ambassador

Feast your eyes on the Univ. of Tulsa's adorable doggie ambassador

1 day ago
She has her own staff ID card. She has a wardrobe of Golden Hurricanes logo shirts and cool bandannas. And come Sept. 7, Goldie the retriever will join the University of Tulsa football team on the field for its home opener, the official launch of her duties as the school's ambassador. That's right, no mere mascot title for the 5-month-old pup. At Tulsa, that job still belongs to Captain Cane, a lowly human sweating inside a costume. In time, Goldie's handlers hope she'll lead the team onto the field and fetch the tee after kickoffs, but that will require some training. In the meantime, this pup pops up at schools and nursing homes and will soon take the campus by storm.

·
Mercy Miracle (M&M)
5,097 Posts
Pittbulls and Paroles-Compassion for needy Pitt Bull Owners

I didn't want to hijack the other thread about adopting a pittbull, so I decided to share what I think of Tia Torres of Pittbulls and Paroles here.

She's awesome man! My kind of woman! I love her daughters too. I love how she rescues pittbulls and has a balanced viewpoint of them. She makes sure her dogs are well loved and matches them to the right homes. I also love how she gives paroles another chance. They have to work hard, but it's for the benefit of the beloved dogs that deserve the best.:) Tia is just and fair with people.

I really love the stories in which she and her daughters help people who already own pitt bulls. In the latest episode, they fostered/boaded a pitt named Chico until his family could find another home after their house caught fire. The woman of the family wasn't about to give Chico up after losing her beloved Doxie in the fire. I love the story that took place in New Orleans about the man whose Pitt Bull was sick and Tia's daughter got the pitt veterinary care. He had two actually and one didn't make it. It grieved him so. He got to keep the other one after it got well. Tia also has great compassion on those who have to sadly and reluctantly give up their pitts. She doesn't condemn them, but supports them throughout the process. They get to say one final goodbye before their dogs go home with their new owners.

It would be cool if other breed rescues could follow the above example. There are many people through no fault of their own who could use a helping hand with their non-pitts as well. :)

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,800 Posts
Marine’s Rescued Dogs Denied Flights, Wrigley Heiress Charters Private Jet

October 25, 2013 by Mary Dunn

SSgt. Andrew Morales rescued two puppies while deployed in Afghanistan in 2011 after their ears and tails had been docked to prepare the Anatolian Shepherds for a future in dog fighting. The dogs became his best friends during the tough deployment.
Flown around the world, now stranded

The fight Morales went through to be able to have his canine companions transferred to the U.S. to live with his family was not easy. So when he was told the large shepherds were too large to fly on a commercial flight, Morales knew he had to get creative again.
The Morales family had been reassigned from California to North Carolina at Camp Lejeune, but it was unclear how the rescued litter mates, Dusty and Wyatt, would make the trip when they were informed of the size restrictions.
Wrigley Heiress Angel

Morales called the rescue league that had initially helped bring the dogs back from Afghanistan, and they made an online appeal on the family’s behalf. Unbelievably, Helen Rosburg, the great-granddaughter of chewing gum industrialist William Wrigley, saw the post on Facebook and knew she had to get involved.
“He’s fought for our freedom and he’s a hero because he rescued two dogs,” said Rosburg.
Helen A. Rosburg, self-described animal lover.

The Wrigley gum heiress is a self-professed animal lover who has a soft spot for animal rescues, at-risk youth and for those who serve our country. She raises German Shepherds and has founded her own animal rescue organization, On the Wings of Angels Rescue.
Thanks to Rosburg, the Andrew Morales flew with his wife Kristen, baby daughter Adrianna and their beloved dogs on a private plane from the west coast, arriving Sunday afternoon.
“From the bottom of me and my wife’s hearts, we really appreciate what she did for us,” said Morales. They hope to be able to express their gratitude in person one day.
Rosburg, who lives in Florida, said she hopes she will be able to meet the family, including the rescued dogs, the next time she is in North Carolina.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,800 Posts
First National Monument to Combat Dogs Dedicated

The United States' first national monument that recognizes the sacrifices of dogs in combat has been dedicated by the U.S. military.

SAN ANTONIO — The United States' first national monument to a soldier's best friend, recognizing the sacrifices of dogs in combat, was dedicated by the U.S. military on Monday.
Inscribed with the words "Guardians of America's Freedom," the nine-foot tall bronze statue at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas, features four dogs and a handler.
"These dogs were patriots just as much as anybody else who served," said military dog handler John Baker of Fallon, Nevada, whose 212th Military Police Company Detachment A was known as "Hell on Paws."
MCT: Melina Yingling
Scroll down to see: U.S. military dog profile.

Lackland is home to the U.S. Armed Forces center that has trained dogs for all branches of the military since 1958.
The sculpture, built with private donations, features the four major breeds used since World War Two: Doberman Pinscher, German Shepherd, Labrador Retriever, and Belgian Malinois.
In World War I, a bulldog named Stubby helped sniff out poison gas, was promoted to sergeant, decorated for bravery by General John Pershing, and became the mascot for Georgetown University in Washington, D.C.
During World War II and in Korea and Vietnam, dogs were used as sentries, scouts, and trackers. In Iraq and Afghanistan, dogs have detected improvised explosive devises (IEDs) and roadside explosives.
Larry Buehner, who served in Vietnam as a platoon scout with the Army's First Cavalry Division, said he is alive because of his military dog.
"Callie saved my life on at least one occasion," he said on Monday of the dog that accompanied him and his unit on jungle patrols.
John Burnam, who handled dogs during the war in Vietnam, said he got the idea for a memorial after military officials decided not to let dogs working in Vietnam return to the United States with their handlers.
"They were heroes, and they were left to die," said Burnam, who has written two books about combat dogs.
"Dog units are worth a million dollars for everything they do ... You can't say enough, you can't give enough accolades to them."
MCT: Melina Yingling

___

·
Mercy Miracle (M&M)
5,097 Posts
Awesome story about guide dog saving owner's life

Here is an amazing story about a black Labrador guide dog saving this dear man's life. He fell onto the subway tracks and the dog jumped onto the tracks with him with a train approaching. It was an awesome miracle that the man was not seriously hurt. The article does mention that the guide dog will have to retire soon, and that he will have to give him up since he cannot afford to pay for him out of pocket. His medical insurance is paying for his guide dog giving him assistance, but will not pay for him when he retires. Since the dog is 11 years old and is his best friend, I pray that by the grace of God, he can keep him. I am sure people who hear the story will raise money for him to keep his beloved buddy as a pet during his final years. :)

Blind man, guide dog safe after subway track fall - MyVerizon.com

Blind man and guide dog fall onto NYC subway tracks, survive with minor injuries

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Here is an amazing story about a black Labrador guide dog saving this dear man's life. He fell onto the subway tracks and the dog jumped onto the tracks with him with a train approaching. It was an awesome miracle that the man was not seriously hurt. The article does mention that the guide dog will have to retire soon, and that he will have to give him up since he cannot afford to pay for him out of pocket. His medical insurance is paying for his guide dog giving him assistance, but will not pay for him when he retires. Since the dog is 11 years old and is his best friend, I pray that by the grace of God, he can keep him. I am sure people who hear the story will raise money for him to keep his beloved buddy as a pet during his final years. :)

Blind man, guide dog safe after subway track fall - MyVerizon.com

Blind man and guide dog fall onto NYC subway tracks, survive with minor injuries
Is there anyway that we can find out if there is some kind of fund or way people can contact the company...?

Oh... now I did see where the original raising family would take him back also. I'm sure they would keep in contact if all else fails.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,800 Posts
Is there anyway that we can find out if there is some kind of fund or way people can contact the company...?

Oh... now I did see where the original raising family would take him back also. I'm sure they would keep in contact if all else fails.

Here's an update to this story, the guy was able to keep the dog that saved him, plus he got a new guide dog.

Blind man who fell on tracks gets new dog, but keeps one who saved him - TODAY.com

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
You know.... That's even more awesome that they get to live together, the two dogs. She will pick up on traits of his long time companion :) And when his older dog is ready to pass she will be there for comfort. All just such an amazing story.

Here's an update to this story, the guy was able to keep the dog that saved him, plus he got a new guide dog.

Blind man who fell on tracks gets new dog, but keeps one who saved him - TODAY.com

·
Mercy Miracle (M&M)
5,097 Posts

·
Mercy Miracle (M&M)
5,097 Posts
Black Golden Retriever helps cat get free

This dog looks like Mercy painted black. It is such a lovely story of a beautiful dog taking a cup off of a kitten's head that got stuck inside it.

Hero Dog Saves Cat Friend From Enemy, The Cup

101 - 120 of 152 Posts