Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last two weeks I have adopted Hank (well he was called Joda) an eight year golden. Great dog, a little out of shape and with no obvious health issues. He hasn't been walked much and still has a lot of his undercoat. I have started slowly walking him twice a day - about a mile each time. Have started grooming Hank and am working at getting the undercoat thinned out a bit. I had him at my cottage for the first ten days and we will be heading down there again tomorrow afternoon for another ten days.

Hank is the first older golden I have had and the first male. Two other goldens, both Sandy, were females. The first had to be put down due to lack of recovery from drugs for air plane trip and the second Sandy got hit by a truck chasing a cat at 2. Had a golden-sheppard cross last year but was way too much sheppard so found him a home where a sheppard's protective traits were more appropriate.

Any thoughts comments on what to expect would be more than appreicated.

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
You can expect a very loving and easy companion. Old Gold is treasure. Thank you for adopting him. We love pictures so please post some of Hank.

·
Dog Lover
42,036 Posts
Hank

God bless you for adopting and loving a Golden Retriever.
I am sure that HANK will repay you ten thousand fold for loving him!
Glad that you are working to get him walking on a leash and brushing him!
You are wonderful. A groomer can help with the undercoat and they also sell something called the Furminator at Petco, Petsmart

Hope you guys have a wonderful weekend and I would not let him off leash, to be on safe side. God forbid he gets lost or stolen.

We'd love some pics. If you don't know how to post them, email me with HANK in Subject Line and I will post for you.

Karen
[email protected]

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Grooming is a great bonding experience as well as a great way to keep tabs on any lumps and bumps that may appear....

Congrats on your adoption! :)

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
Older Goldens are something truly special. I think you'll be so happy with your decision to adopt Hank.

What you can expect is probably what you're getting now. A patient, dedicated, fun-loving guy who will love to be with you. He probably LOVES your cottage. Do you have water where he can swim?

Sounds like you've made a good match! Do you have any photos?

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Thank You for adopting a senior golden.... When our rescue gets seniors, they are over looked for a younger one. Its so sad but they sit for a while....

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Oh, thank you so much for adopting an older golden. I think what you see is pretty much what you'll get, personality-wise and energy-wise, but a little training and lots of love and patience will help him blossom.

It's always so nice to hear about the older ones getting adopted and getting the wonderful life they deserve!!

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Thank you for adopting him. I am sure he will be a wonderful dog. Please have his thyroid checked as soon as possible. It is very common for a dog his age to be low.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the comments. I have a Dough Whisperer undercoat brush that works really well and getting the undercoat out. Never ceases to amaze just how much an undercoat goldens have. Also have another brush that works more like a massage brush - the undercoat brush is rather stiff. Down at the cottage tonnes of water. Hank has the run of the place - no neighbours yet. In our first ten days down there he only went swimming once and that was to follow me across the lake (only about 200m). I was amazed at how well his hindquarters floated! I am going to try and post a picture of posted with this posting.

Attachments

·
Dog Lover
42,036 Posts
Hank

Hank

What a beautiful picture of Hank and what a great cottage and setting!!!

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
Hank is gorgeous! Thanks so much for adopting him! It does look like he has a really thick coat. I bet it'll look great with all the attention you're giving it.

And what a beautiful cottage! looks like a slice of heaven to me. :)

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,854 Posts
Congratulations on your adoption of Hank, he's a beautiful sugar faced boy. You will soon find out if you haven't already, that you have yourself one very special friend. Hank will want to be by yourside doing what you are doing, be where ever you are, and all he'll want from you is to know you are there for him.

You have many years ahead of you with him since he's in good health. Try to keep him as active as his age allows. I'm sure he's enjoying the walks and swimming will do wonders for him both for his weight and also his hips if he's experiencing any arthritis.

Enjoy your new boy, he's beautiful.

Thanks so much for adopting this Old Gold.

BTW, your cottage and the scenery is gorgeous, looks like a great place to be.

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
Oh, WHAT a cutie!! How do you not just squeeze him all day??

Thank you for giving this guy such a wonderful life at this late stage. It looks like he got a little corner of heaven there.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Congrats on rescuing Hank! I love hearing when older goldens are able to find forever homes. He is a handsome guy and your cottage looks like a great place. I am sure you have made Hank very happy. Enjoy yourself with your new best friend!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hank is a wonderful dog - we have reallly bonded well. He rarely leaves me side and is so easy going. One thing he does that I have never seen before is sometimes when he is laying down he puts his legs out behind him, both straight back, rather than lying on one hip. He does not seem to be in any pain at all but it is the first time I have seen this. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Hank is beautiful!! He has the most kissable face. I'm not much of an expert, but it sound like he doesn't have any hip issues to sit like that at that age. Most puppies sit like a frog. But usually when they are older, they quit laying like that.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts