Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is our first post. Just want to thank everyone for your sharing of knowledge around pedigrees and family health risks. Our family has received a couple of responses and greatly appreciate the leads as we really just want a healthy new addition to our family.

Anyone have any experience with Halcyon Kennels? Seems a small breeder in MA but seemed very nice so far.

SS21457303 Sire, clean hips, elbows, eyes, and heart but no 2nd gen history

SS18451203 Dame, clean hips, elbows, eyes, and heart. Good 2nd gen but GS missing elbows/hips.

Also another litter with SS18451202 Dame.

·
Super Moderator
590 Posts
Without looking into things, I’m guessing this is a BYB with clearances type setup. No OFA history behind the sire is just not something I’d consider. Now that I pull up his pedigree, I’m seeing that he is an import and that dogs in his pedigree have claimed FCI clearances, but I’m not trusting any unverifiable claims. I’d imagine this breeder imported this sire to be used on most of her girls, which is a common thing you don’t want to see. Girls (full sibs) have clearances (second one needs eyes posted) and pedigrees are a bit better, having some Can CHs in there, but not remarkable.

Seen worse, but you can do a lot better. Lots of great breeders in the northeast… not worth settling IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,378 Posts
None of the dogs you posted have an adequate heart clearance: the “P” in the clearance number indicates that the exam was done by a “practitioner” (aka a regular pet vet) and the Code of Ethics require that it be done by a cardiologist (so you would see a C instead of a P in the number). As Matt indicated, the sire has nothing verifiable behind him, so his genetics are a black hole. The girls look like they have some recognizable lines, but without the full slate of clearances (none have adequate hearts and one doesn’t have an eye clearance listed), you would still be taking unnecessary risks.

New England is full of great breeders and the post Matt linked to should give you a great start!

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I would not touch any breeding with deficient heart certifications by a practitioner only, especially import bloodlines where SAS is a real issue and the lack of depth of testing overseas is too.

Generally speaking lots of girls and one unrelated boy is a recipe for convenience and profit, not quality. There are thousands of great stud dogs in the country and one boy is never the best fit for every girl a breeder owns.

·
Super Moderator
590 Posts
None of the dogs you posted have an adequate heart clearance: the “P” in the clearance number indicates that the exam was done by a “practitioner” (aka a regular pet vet) and the Code of Ethics require that it be done by a cardiologist (so you would see a C instead of a P in the number). As Matt indicated, the sire has nothing verifiable behind him, so his genetics are a black hole. The girls look like they have some recognizable lines, but without the full slate of clearances (none have adequate hearts and one doesn’t have an eye clearance listed), you would still be taking unnecessary risks.

New England is full of great breeders and the post Matt linked to should give you a great start!
Good catch, missed that!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, we’ve called about 10-15 breeders on the list but understandably a lot of breeders are have not been breeding over the last couple of years or do not have any current 2022/2023 plans.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice and input. We were extremely surprised and elated to receive an update from Sunfire goldens and will be stopping by tonight. Will be sure to post a couple of pictures and looking forward to continuing to learn more and be part of the community!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts