Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to an "allergy rash" Sam has, the vet shaved about a small pancake size area where the rash is to let it breathe and heal (he had been biting and scratching due to itching). How long do you think it will take for this to come back? The rest of his coat is gorgeous and I can't imagine shaving it, but that little patch gets to me :p lol

·
3 goldens
11,928 Posts
It really doesn't take all that long. My KayCee use to get hotspots and had places on her hips, neck, and face shaved and fur grew back rapidly. also, she had had both knees operated on and almost her entire leg up to her spind was shaved. Looks goofy for a while, but afterwards--no difference. Honey had leg shaved 2 1/23 years ago to have MCY removed and her fur was growing back before it was healed.

·
Registered
13,084 Posts
Not so long. My girl had her entire belly shaved in April for an ultrasound. Within two weeks, there was a light layer of fur growing back. Her full coat, feathers and all, were back by the end of the summer. But if your dog's patch is just in a normal smooth area, with no feathering, it will be back in fully in less time.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Penny is 2 months + 1 week out from having her leg shaved for surgery. Her regrowth is about 1/2 inch long now and starting to show feathering. I estimate it will be late spring before she's back to full coat on the leg. She was shaved from her spine to her toes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not so long. My girl had her entire belly shaved in April for an ultrasound. Within two weeks, there was a light layer of fur growing back. Her full coat, feathers and all, were back by the end of the summer. But if your dog's patch is just in a normal smooth area, with no feathering, it will be back in fully in less time.
He has the patch on his upper thigh. Its a smooth area, no feathers. Hope he heals up, and it grows back quick!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts