Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year.

Do you trim that hair yourself or have somebody do it? We have always done it but it seems we can never cut enough before it grows back. And you know how fast our golden's hair grows!! Is there a special device for trimming this hair, or best to take the dog to a groomer?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I always do it myself with regular hair clippers. I buzz it very short. I do it once every couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I also trim every couple of weeks--if I let it go more than that, I always mentally kick myself. I have used an electric dog clipper; I've also used shears--I absolutely love, love, love the pair I bought from Erik Strickland. I have others, but his feel so comfortable in my hand, and stay sharp for a long period of time.

It's not worth it to have the feet done in South Florida--I would suspect the charge for that service would be around $25, most likely more. I'd rather do it myself.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I do it myself too with sheers I bought. You can find some on www.petedge.com. I do Bogey's feet every 2-3 weeks.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I do it myself with regular scissors but I must admit it does come out looking like I did it myself with a pair of scissors. :doh:

·
Registered
869 Posts
I cut my own. I was wondering if you should leave it longer for winter, does it offer some protection or make things worse?

I also absolutely LOVE the dremel Santa brought the puppies for Christmas.

·
Dog Lover for Life
220 Posts
I have small scisors with a round tip this one I use for between the toes and his ears. Then at Petco I bought this battery powered clipper and this one is pretty small and fits into the balm of my hand. This I use to trim the hair between Bogart's pads. He is pretty good about it on the hind legs though he is ticklish and pulls away alot. I just keep going and he gives up. It helps with keeping iceballs from forming between his pads.
Elke, ZsaZsa and Bogart

·
Registered
55 Posts
I trim the bottom and sides of the feet every time I cut Harley's nails. I use scissors and get Harley to lay on the couch and sit beside him to save my back from bending over.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I always do it myself with regular hair clippers. I buzz it very short. I do it once every couple of weeks.
i attempt to do mine with scissors but i cant get him to stay still at all unless i have peanutbutter in his Kong and even then its a hassle! How do you get him to calm down to do it?

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
I got this cute little clipper at Target. It works great for trimming the feetsies.

Attachments

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I trim Bailey's feet myself. I do them whenever I see the hair getting long. I take her for walks outside, so if she has long hair, the snow will ball up more; even with the musher's secret.

·
Registered
494 Posts
We don’t trim the hair on their feet as the wife likes the way it looks. I could care less one way or the other. The question is should we be trimming it? Is there a health or safety issue? We do some other trimming but have left the feet alone. Should we start trimming them?

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
The first few times I trimmed the hair myself but now that he is almost no longer a puppy, he is too strong for me to hold down.

I just brought him to Petsmart on New Year's Eve to get his nails trimmed (I'm way too chicken to do that myself), I paid $25 for a package that included: nails trimmed, paw fur trimmed on top and shaved on bottom, teeth brushing and 15 minutes of brushing. I thought that was a pretty good deal! They did a great job, too.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I cut it every week, along with tidy the pasterns, hocks, and the end of the tail so it maintains the pretty look when fanned out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't trim either Willie or Mollie paw pads. Should I be? Willie especially has lots of fur between his toes and yep, it creates snowballs mighty fast. I'm not sure that trimming the pads will do all that much good.

Tom

·
The Truth Is Out There
258 Posts
I do Max's myself with scissors and it never looks good. Not shore I would know how to do it with clippers.

What did anoye me once was. I was in the show ring stacking Max and this woman said "did you do his feet yourself, you should come to me sometime for lessons" and that wasn't said in a nice way. RUDE woman.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
If you have an older dog or one that has trouble walking, trimming the hair out from the bottom feet can be a life saver. Especially if you have Pergo or hard surface floors. We don't have snow here so I don't really know about that, but it makes sense that it would help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts