Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy Fornuto, friend and mentor for 35 years passed away last night. A former president of LIGRC, former field trialer, one of the originals behind NAHRA Hunt Tests, one of the originals to bring hunt tests to the AKC, head of our field program, frequent user of the Mass Honor---British Honor, and a big outdoorsman finally succumbed to his cancer.

Guy was an old timer. He trained with many of the original trialers on Long Island---Augie Belmont, Roger Vasselais, Lanse Brown, and others. Although he had experimented with an ecollar, he would not use one. He trained entirely old school. I am glad I learned his methods as they are disappearing. He was extremely patient. I saw him spend 2 years on a Golden who would not swim. The dog finally turned into a maniac on water---huge water entries, etc.

Guy really knew dogs. He had even trained pointing dogs. He spent extra time with me and Buffy. (Upon meeting Buffy as a pup,"George will have trouble with that dog".) AND Guy came out of a sick bed to help me train Buffy and Thor for the 2015 GRCA National Specialty.

I will truly miss him.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
So sorry to read of Guy's passing. He will be missed by many, many folks in the Northeast.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Guy Fornuto, friend and mentor for 35 years passed away last night. A former president of LIGRC, former field trialer, one of the originals behind NAHRA Hunt Tests, one of the originals to bring hunt tests to the AKC, head of our field program, frequent user of the Mass Honor---British Honor, and a big outdoorsman finally succumbed to his cancer.
I will remember him for those mass honors. I ran several tests under him years ago and they were always interesting. Four dogs to the line and we sat on buckets rotating which dog got to work and which ones honored. Lots of fun.

I am very sorry for the loss of your friend and mentor.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm saddened to hear of Guy's passing. Although we knew that the day was coming, we are never quite prepared for it.
You were lucky to have a dear friend and a mentor of such high caliber, both as a person and as a dog guy...not everyone is so fortunate.
I'll raise a toast to Guy this evening.
FTGoldens

·
Premium Member
4,525 Posts
Sorry to hear that George. Sometimes loosing a friend is so much harder than a family member. The people we've chosen to keep in our lives because they are special to us. I wish you well.

Reactions: gdgli

·
Registered
74 Posts
Guy was truly amazing - he knew more about goldens than just about anyone I ever met - with the possible exception of Elaine. They were an amazing couple. We were lucky enough to get four truly wonderful dogs from them over the years.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I think you ran under him. In any event, on two seperate occasions, I have run into two people from New England who had actually said that they came to Long Island just to run under him. Both Field Trialers, they came here to run hunt tests.
I did run under him, at least a couple times.
My favorite test of all time was under him and Justine. I have a beloved photo of them (our judges) with me and Boomer with his Senior ribbon. That was one of the best days of my life!

Another time after a test, Guy invited everyone to his house for a party.
That was a fun day too <3

I also went to a seminar he put together.
He contributed a lot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts