Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this because this morning at 6 am, he puked it up along with a small amount of phlegm. The rock was about 1 and 1/2" long and 3/4" wide. He was fine afterward except he licked his chops for awhile...I imagine his throat may have hurt?

Anyway, my concern is not with this rock but with the thought that there may be others. How can you keep your dog from swallowing rocks (we live on 5 fenced acres)? And what are the symptoms of a serious blockage?

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
I had a huge rock eater. You can only do so much to stay on top of that. Even in places we thought had no rocks he would find them:D They will either throw them up or poop them out. Just make sure he is elimnating normally and he should be fine. My Cody would search and destroy rocks until the day he died. He never had a blockage thankfully.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Azzure, please don't be offended, but I have to laugh! If you go to the puppy section and look over past months you will see about everything a dog can swallow has been swallowed by our dogs. We have to smile or we would be in a nut farm for sure.

So far everything Kye and Coop have eatten were recycled in our backyard (uck). I hope your boy is the same and none of those rocks are left. So sorry for Gus!

There will be more knowledgeable people who will post to help you better than I. But I couldn't help but comment on you Thread. Amazing our kids don't kill themselves! Doggie Garbage disposals all.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Nugget eats rocks every day. We try to deter him; but he always seems to snag one or two at some point. So far, they go out the other end. I am more afraid that he'll break a tooth!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Another rock eater here! Hubby laughs every time he poops & you hear "ding ding ding"....yup, pebbles clanging as they fall. Sorry if that is TMI (too much info!)....so far no blockage here either. We have a rock bed that borders our driveway simply because our previous dog loved to chew the shrubbery that once lined the drive - so we removed every shrub & put in rocks....enter BEAR! The rock eater! UGGGG....must be a golden thing!

Reactions: Wyatt's mommy

·
Registered
52 Posts
We have a rock eater too! Lola is only 9 weeks old and has swallowed a few rocks already. I nearly died the first time she ate one..I called the vet and the breeder..they didnt seem so concerned even though I was having a breakdown! I just started walking her in the front yard where there are fewer dangers..rocks, twigs, dead leaves..all the yuck in the backyard!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts