Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully we are on the upswing with this bout of allergic reaction but thought I would ask if anyone had any idea what are the highest allergic agents?

Gunner has twice lost his hair and weight over something he ate. Last spring he lost a great deal of fur and 15 pounds when I changed his food to Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish. I assumed it was the sweet potato. Once he was back on his Nature's Variety Salmon his coat grew back in lush and so thick! Recently I tried a "healthy" treat and ended up with a balding dog losing weight. Luckily I caught it (even though the treats were about gone , he gets one twice a day with his pills or more)
I'll post the ingredients below and a picture of my poor boy's bald thigh!
His hair is filling in on his neck and his skin is not red, or irritated.

"Trail Hound treats were created with active dogs in mind. These low fat treats are loaded with essential fatty acids, antioxidants, and L-Carnitine....a naturally occurring amino acid.
Ingredients: Whole Wheat Flour, Ground Whole Oats, Peanut Butter, Rolled Oats, Amaranth, Sunflower Hearts, Apples, Carrots, Flax Seed, Kelp, Beta -Carotene, Green Tea Extract, L-Carnitine, Mixed Tocopherols (natural preservatives)
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein: 10.0% (min), Crude Fat: 5.0%(min), Crude Fat: 9.0%(max), Crude Fiber: 5.0% (max), Moisture: 10.0%(max)"

These are the treats. It's the only thing I can think of that was different, as in when I changed his food last spring and he lost hair /weight before. His food has oats and flax seeds. He has had wheat flour in his other treats his entire life. It could be kelp, Amaranth,Sunflower or green tea that he is allergic to. I thought it was sweet potatoes in the previous food. Allergies are so frustrating!

Any ideas would be appreciated!!! It is NOT his thyroid as we have been through this before. He is on .5 soloxine twice a day and has LOST weight, not gained. He will be getting his thyroid checked again in Jan. He acts fine!!!

Attachments

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Boy Deb.. I wish I had some great info/advice for you. His hair loss was really dramatic. I'm glad you're getting his thyroid rechecked.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really don't think it's his thyroid since we have been through this before with a new food and his thyroid was fine.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Poor Gunner (and poor you)! It's crazy that just changing a treat could make that much of a difference ... I'm going to look at the ingredients.

Yeah I feel like the ones you posted are the only things that are different - I'm guessing it wouldn't be the peanut butter? Probably not. Maybe because those are "different" ingredients he reacted badly to them ...

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
Wheat is a very common allergen for dogs, but if he has not had problems before, it is probably not the wheat. I wish I had some other suggestions but don't :(

Poor Gunner-his leg must get cold with no hair!

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that I think back,his original food way back had brown rice not wheat.. but I think Flavor snack milkbones have wheat and he has never had a problem with them (except the fat) and they also have peanut butter.

ARGH! I feel like pulling out my own hair!

·
Premium Member
18,457 Posts
You could drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out. The only way to really know is have a full panel allergy test run and determine exactly what he's allergic to, then you can avoid it.

I would have bet the wheat in the treats was the culprit, except you said he's had wheat before?

Is there any chance you used a different shampoo, or household cleaner?

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Microtek shampoo and he isn't bathed very often due to this problem.
No new cleaners I can think of.
I am pretty sure it was something in the treats and I am determined to not try ANYTHING new again and keep him on his same food and treats forever, unless he does this with them. UGH.

I did run out of Dogzymes and haven't reordered yet. ?

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
No help here, just wanna say that I hope whatever it was is no longer bothering him and he starts growing his hair back. Is he itching also, or just losing the hair? Ike's itching like crazy right now, which I'm attributing to the weather. Nothing else has changed for him either.

Oh...I mentioned Ike's itching to the woman who groomed him just before Christmas and she suggested Kelp. I've just started adding it to his food. Hubby and I are taking it also. I googled Kelp and it sounds like a miracle supplement. Helps everything. Ike hasn't been on it long enough to see if there's improvement yet.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
One thing I have learned is that other ingredients can pop up in foods and treats that aren't in the ingredient list and you never know it. That's why I try to only feed my boy with allergies treats that I make myself.

·
Missing my Boys...
3,980 Posts
Hi Deb,
I use kelp in a healthy powder mix that I make from scratch(DR. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health For Dogs & Cats) Great book!
Now for allergies, Dylan had them when he was young and was put on prednisolone off & on until one vet said he just had issues and it was all in his head! Off to a new vet we go and found a holistic vet that believed conventional and holistic practice is needed for the well being of our pets.
She recommended local or organic honey added to his kibbles (we switched to Merrick Wilderness Blend). We found local honey and about three months later no more sore feet and legs. He would have his legs raw at times and we have had no problems since.
I also make all my their treats, organic when possible.
Good Luck,

June

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
he has had plain yogurt off and on his entire life so don't think that is it but you can just develop an allergy to something you hadn't been before right? ARGH!

He already seems to be growing silky baby hair back where he is bald. He looks like he was molting!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Has he had any problem with peanut butter? I remember someone on the forum that had a dog that couldnt have peanut butter and thought of that when I saw the list. And could it be the amaranth?

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I was at the acupuncture vets today with Barkley and mentioned he was itching like crazy and it started about the time we turned our heater on in the house. She said starting the heater could dry out the atmosphere and cause the itching to start--just thought I would throw that into your mix of things to consider.

Also, has Gunner had any major vaccinations recently? I mentioned to the acupuncture vet that Barkley was due for his 3 year rabies in 3 weeks and she said to expect an allergic reaction that might take up to 3 months to clear......great (sigh). I'm probably going to take him back in 2 weeks and have her do the rabies vaccination (she will do muscle testing to figure out the dosage, which I gather will be minimal). She said she can give him some sort of antidote at the same time to minimize the allergic reaction. She couldn't do it today because he needed the acupuncture more due to the itchiness and hurting hips. I usually learn something new each time I go to the acupuncture vet, and this time it was that major vaccines can cause allergic reactions in dogs which manifest in itchiness and increased allergies.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No he has no itching and has had no vacs. He needs his rabies this coming year and also his 3 year rotation for the others. UGH.. hate vacs.

He has had peanut butter treats all his life with no problem but the amaranth... I have no idea.

I sure hope it isn't too much thyroid meds now.. as he has been on this dose a year and a half. he had this reaction last spring to the different food.. that's why I assumed it was the treats.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
any new toys come into the picture that he chews. Maybe it's a reaction to a latex or something a toy is made out of?

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
The amaranth might be it. I just did a google/wikipedia and found it is a grain that has a high protein content and helps lower cholesterol. It sounds like something I should take!

It's also known as pigweed and I know Barkley is allergic to that from the allergy testing the rescue did before we adopted him.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Anne!!! maybe that is it, I''ll check out the NB sweet potato food for that also.
I don't plan on giving him anything new ever again!!!

He received new toys for Christmas but he was already having this problem.
Thanks everyone for the brainstorm help!

Allergies are so frustrating!!! Especially when your golden goes bald and it's 10 below 0!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Allergies are so frustrating!!! Especially when your golden goes bald and it's 10 below 0!
They are frustrating, even when it's blazing hot and 110 too! I hope you find the culprit. Has Gunner ever had allergy testing? It might be a good idea, if the costs of the tests aren't too prohibitive. Barkley was tested by the rescue before we got him (he was basically bald when rescued) so I have no clue on what is involved or how expensive they are. Those test results have been so helpful to us in figuring out things. We learned his allergies are mostly environmental, not food--however, if food manufacturers are now putting pigweed and other similar weeds in their foods, then we need to be careful in what we choose for him!
What the acupuncture vet explained to me about vaccines affecting the immune system and causing allergic responses afterwards makes sense. My own allergies increased shortly after I got the seasonal flu and the h1n1 vaccines. If it affects me, it has to affect the dogs. It also explains Toby's hot spots after vaccinations.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts