Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At our general membership meeting last night, the report from the Field Committee included mention of having more Gundog Stakes. We had our first one last year after a big (25? year) hiatus. It was wildly popular and it included a puppy stake.

I would like to think that our field program is growing. We do have a lot of skillful people who are active in the field. Hopefully some of you who are close by can participate in one of our events.

I might add that pixyia who is a new member of the forum has come on board and has started training with us. And I understand that her dog did quite well.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
hey that's great! I sure wish your club was about 1000 miles closer.

·
Super Moderator
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our gundog stakes will vary but what we did last time was a singles stakes, three categories. Young dogs could be held by the collar on line, single marked retrieves that were challenging, delivery to hand was required. Older dogs had longer marks and off lead steadiness was required. Puppy stake marks were shorter and delivery in the vicinity of the handler was required.

We had a very large turnout and some of the entrants were trialing their dogs four weeks later, point being that it was challenging enough for them. We had flyers and dead birds. All retriever breeds were welcome. Awards were given.

We used to do more of this before the hunt test came on the scene, then it stopped. This encourages many to bring their golden out to the field. I expect our gundog stakes will be popular. You get to run your dog, it's local, compared to hunt testing relatively inexpensive, "regular guy" friendly and lots of fun. We also offered training opportunities.

These club trials were popular at one time but have become very hard to find, at least in my neck of the woods. This brings many people into the field, offers many a chance to get the experience of handling a dog under trial conditions, and offers people an opportunity to get experience as a judge.

Just because it was a club trial doesn't mean it was easy. One MH was dropped on the most challenging series.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts