Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this may sound weird but I can't help but feel a little sad/guilty about wanting to get a puppy. I have a very spoiled older kitty and I feel like I might be hurting his feelings by bringing home another pet ~ have any of you felt like this? If so, how did you deal with it and how did it work out for you?

When I first brought my kitty home I had other cats and a dog, but the last few years (at least 5) my kitty has been my only furbaby (and did I mention very spoiled?;)) ~ well, except for the neighbor cat that "thinks" he lives here. I feel like he might feel jealous or get his feelings hurt by me bringing home another pet (does this sound crazy? :curtain:).

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
If you do bring a new puppy home you will probably crate train the puppy and be able to give your kitty lots of love. Adult cats don't usually flinch when they meet a puppy and the two most likely will become buddies.

I have two goldens and a cat (inherited) and we all seem to find one on one time. The cat (who despises dogs) will mew from behind the couch to tell the dogs they need to go outside so he can get some attention. The dogs will go straight for the door when the hear the kitty speak. :doh:

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
If your kitty previously lived with other animals, I bet he/she will be just fine, although it might take a little time. Just make sure your kitty has a place to go that the new puppy can't get to, and spend some alone time each night with your cat. Give the puppy a kong or a bone and put him in his crate and sit on the couch with the cat. I bet they'll become fast friends, or at least the cat will tolerate the puppy, who will think the cat is his new best friend! As a house with 3 dogs and 10 permanent cats, it can be done!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I agree with the Taz Monkey. Since kitty has been around other animals her whole life then she might be excited to have a friend again. Just make sure you give her lots of attention.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Don’t feel guilty! We had a three year old cat when we got Sammy and Barley. He had never lived with another pet, but was always a very outgoing cat. As our only pet, he was also the center of attention. When we first brought the puppies home, he pretended they were not there. But after a few days they became his buddies. Our newest addition, Mira, will actually play with him almost daily. I really think our kitty enjoys the companionship. Good luck!​

Baby Sammy and Ziggy (our kitty)

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Often times, even if a cat does not like the new puppy, they are very entertained watching them from a high spot.

If you will be crate training your puppy, then your cat will be able to still have one on one time with you during the timeouts / nap times.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Our cat, A.J. is 13 y.o., Hank is almost 5 months. They get along pretty well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't tell you how much better you all have made me feel - the guilt was really getting to me! I just didn't want kitty to think I ruined his peaceful life. I will definitely be crate training (she is actually already somewhat crate trained as I will be her second home) and I will also make sure Kitty (and yes that is his name - original huh?!) gets extra special attention - he'll probably be saying "woman just leave me alone already" ;)

Oaklys dad~ I love the story of how your cat seems to rule the roost - too cute!

Sammydog~ that picture of your dog and cats is just precious - I only hope mine will get along that well!

Willow52~ That was part of my concern, because my kitty is almost 15 (though still often acts like a kitten!), I'm glad to hear your A.J. doesn't mind having Hank around!

Really guys, I feel so much better now - thank you!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
... I just didn't want kitty to think I ruined his peaceful life.
:) well, you will ruin his peaceful life, but he'll get over it! When we brought Hank home I could see A.J. rolling his eyes and thinking "that thing surely isn't staying". They do get along well. If Hank doesn't seek out A.J. to play, A.J. will parade around with the hopes of getting his attention. Then the chase is on!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Willow52~ that is too cute I only hope mine two will get along that well - I would be ecstatic! I think I keep thinking of all the things that could go wrong and not thinking of all the things that could go right!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts