Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I’m still on the hunt for a puppy. Came across this breeder in Vegas called Double Down. It looks like the parents have all the right clearances but would love another set of eyes on them.

Appreciate the guidance!

best,
A

·
Registered
445 Posts
Eyes are more than a year overdue for starters.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Yes, eyes are out of date on both sire and dam BUT, they "expired" in March, so the breeder might not have been able to access a clinic, or even a vet, at that time. There are two prior exams that were normal. Something to note and ask the breeder about, but I wouldn't call it a red flag or anything...

·
Puddles
3,850 Posts
Actually the eyes expired in Oct. 2018 but agree, breeder may have them and they are not posted. Or Covid has made it hard to get them done. History on these dogs doesn't show any signs of eye problems, not even "breeder options" which is good.
There are some presumed elbow fails so might get some insurance that covers joints just in case. There are lots of performance titles so be prepared for a higher energy puppy, the good side of this is they are usually really, really smart and eager to learn. It all depends on what personality / traits you are looking for in your new purchase and how much time you are prepared to commit to for training and exercise.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The dam's side is missing a lot of information in K9data; that in itself is concerning to me because there isn't anything behind her that screams "reputable breeder." I don't think there is anything wrong with asking why the breeder thinks this female, with just a CD and health exams, is worthy of being bred. I would also ask about DNA testing, especially NCL given the lack of information behind the female.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great this is all very helpful. I have a call with the breeder this evening so I'll be sure to ask about 1. a more recent eye exam, 2. why the female was worth breeding, 3. NCL as well as general DNA testing. If there are any other flags I should dig into, please let me know. Appreciate the guidance!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He says dad is current and attached below. He said" "Moms I was going to get them done again in March at a show she was entered in but all shows were canceled because of covid"

·
Puddles
3,850 Posts
He says dad is current and attached below. He said" "Moms I was going to get them done again in March at a show she was entered in but all shows were canceled because of covid"
View attachment 874502 View attachment 874503
This one expired in March... both dogs were done at the same time in 2018, wonder why he didn't take both dogs together? Considering the plans to breed them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
COVID is a get out of clearances free card. I wasnt responded to very kindly when I commented about the ethics of it on a Facebook group in the spring. One even justified it as her bitch was i think 7 and it might be the last heat for her and she wasn't about to not have another litter of pups.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,729 Posts
I wondered if there would be many dogs bred this year with out of date eyes and what the general thinking on that would be. But to breed with no hips, elbows or heart because clinics got cancelled would be downright irresponsible to me. Especially now considering most (if not all?) vet clinics are operating again. It may be more difficult and maybe a bit more expensive to get the x-rays and heart and eyes done not at a clearance clinic, but it IS possible. My dog's eyes are now out of date, but she is not a breeder. I'm still going to get them done (soon) because she has uveal cysts we're watching.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts