Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1st time Golden Retriever
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went and checked Ivy's wading pool because she hasn't been in it for a couple of hours (its 35 deg C today) and it was hot, I mean cup of tea making hot! Poor thing, so I emptied and put some fresh cool water in it and hosed her down and now she is alseep in the kitchen on top of a wet beach towel.
Has any one got some keeping goldens cool tips in the summer time, its going to be 40 deg C tomorrow so we wont even get out the door I'm guessing!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Here in Texas, when it reaches in the upper 90s and 100s (F), we tend to do all the outside exercise in the early mornings, before the sun rises, or in the evenings, as the sun is setting or shortly afterwards. The times in-between are spent inside with the AC going. When Toby was younger we played inside games and now that he's older we usually just let him rest on the cool tile floors. I make sure his water is always fresh and as cool as can be.

I feel sorry for you--excessive heat is just miserable!

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
When we were in the high 30s and 40s this past summer, the only exertion exercise my girl got was in water. There was no ball playing in the park - only at the beach. And we're lucky - I have AC, so my house was always cool.

Your wading pool is a great way to kee p your dog cool - as is the wet towel. The thing about Goldens - their fur DOES protect them to some degree from the heat (obviously not enough). But if you make sure Ivy has lots of cool water to drink, and her cool pool, she should be fine.

PS Can I just say I am slightly jealous that you're going to hit 40 degrees?! I guess I can't complain - it's 4 degrees on January 1st in Toronto. I'd still prefer 40!

Reactions: Ninde'Gold

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,647 Posts
I'll be right there, I don't like cold weather at all and we're about to go through the two coldest months of the year. Spring and Summer can't come soon enough for me.

It gets very hot and humid here on the NC Coast, fortunately I live a block off the Inter Coastal Waterway where we have a small beach and grass area. I take my pups down there several times during the week in the summer months to go swimming and play on the beach.

Like Dallas Gold said, outdoor activities such as walks or play time are done here early in the a.m. before it heats up or when the sun is setting and the temps are cooling down.

My guys spend most of hottest times of the day lounging in the A. C. I make homemade Frosty paw treats for my guys during the summer months and keep on hand.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
You can buy cooling mats from Silver Eagle. They absorb water and stay cool for a long time. They are especially helpful for the car.

I found the ones with the gel to be stinky and less stable.

You can also buy large ice block moulds. I have one in the shape of a star which my golden can chew easily.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
That may be an odd question, but this one is for the Australians: Do you have air conditioning? I am just going by your posts and somehow it seems like it is not as common there. Please correct me, if I am wrong. I have never been to Australia, but sure would love to travel there some day.
Here in the southern part of the USA, most people have AC, I could not live without it, lol.
When I lived in Michigan, AC was not as prevalent either.
Being from Germany originally, there was no AC when I was growing up and even now, most houses don't have it. People are slowling starting to put them in new houses from what I heard. But electricity is very expensive there, so I doubt it will ever be a common thing to have AC.

My golden stays in the AC most of the day. I walk my boys early in the morning, late at night, but they do insist on short walks during the day, but then they rush back into the house and sleep. I have a swimming pool for us and a kiddy pool for the dogs, but only the golden uses the kiddy pool. The other two don't like to get wet, lol. I try to get everybody in the big pool, but no luck. When my golden was a pup, he loved being in the pool with me. This summer, I will try to get him in and start swimming regularly, which is not only cooling but also good for his joints. Would also be good for his operated on legs, first TPLO on one side and FHO on the other.
My dogs like also chewing on ice cubes, but I am alway afraid, that they will chip their teeth.
Okay, enough, did not want to bore anybody, lol. :):wave:

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
That may be an odd question, but this one is for the Australians: Do you have air conditioning? I am just going by your posts and somehow it seems like it is not as common there. Please correct me, if I am wrong. I have never been to Australia, but sure would love to travel there some day.
Here in the southern part of the USA, most people have AC, I could not live without it, lol.
When I lived in Michigan, AC was not as prevalent either.
Being from Germany originally, there was no AC when I was growing up and even now, most houses don't have it. People are slowling starting to put them in new houses from what I heard. But electricity is very expensive there, so I doubt it will ever be a common thing to have AC.

My golden stays in the AC most of the day. I walk my boys early in the morning, late at night, but they do insist on short walks during the day, but then they rush back into the house and sleep. I have a swimming pool for us and a kiddy pool for the dogs, but only the golden uses the kiddy pool. The other two don't like to get wet, lol. I try to get everybody in the big pool, but no luck. When my golden was a pup, he loved being in the pool with me. This summer, I will try to get him in and start swimming regularly, which is not only cooling but also good for his joints. Would also be good for his operated on legs, first TPLO on one side and FHO on the other.
My dogs like also chewing on ice cubes, but I am alway afraid, that they will chip their teeth.
Okay, enough, did not want to bore anybody, lol. :):wave:
Good question! I've wondered the same thing. When the AC goes out here it is a bona fide emergency!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I recommend the Cool Bed 3. They are a cooling bed that stays dry. The large one takes 6+ gallons of water so it is heavy at about 60lbs. Find a spot inside and leave it there. The inner core can get folded up and be a pain to straighten out if you fold it up to move it. I put a bedsheet under it to move it from room to room and that worked out fine. In the summer you can just put their regular dog bed on top of it. I have never emptied ours.

Got it for Tucker and can't believe how well they work. Now Fiona enjoys it in the summer. There are a few threads about cooling dog beds here if you do a search.

·
1st time Golden Retriever
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, the cool bed looks fantastic!

And um, cough cough- yes we do have air con in Australia, everything that you have we have the same! Its just not that effective on the 3rd consectutive 40 deg c day thats all.
She managed to survive through it, she satyed inside all day long and went outside at nights.
Would you believe the last week I have had the heater on in the mornings, its been very odd weather this summer.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Yes everyone I know has an air conditioner. Air conditioners are very common but since our goldens have a thick coat we like to keep them cool in various ways as often as possible. My goldens are also inside with the air conditioner over summer.

Come on over - you'll be very comfortable :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
As Dallas Gold said it does get pretty warm in Texas also and with the humidity can make it kinda tuff on our girls. We keep them in the a/c most of the time but there are times they might stay outside awhile. I was watching a baseball game onetime and saw people using a small hand held misting fan. We did some research on line and found there are kits to make larger fans into a misting fan. We bought a couple of kits, for about $25.00 each, I installed the misting ring and really was suprised to see how much cooler out deck was, our deck is covered and that makes a difference too. That was 10 years ago and we still use them to cool the girls durning the Texas summers.
Just thought I might pass this along, works great for us.

BTW Doug, I've been down under and what a great place, I was able to spend some time in Bunbury some great people and wonderful beaches.

Mike

Reactions: Doug

·
Gracie's mom and dad
301 Posts
Where I live, outside temps in summer can easily reach 102-105 degrees. We walk Grace only after the sun sets and before sunrise. Her water bowl is kept full and has ice chips in. Our a/c runs 24/7 and the house inside temp is monitored to stay at 73 degrees. We spray her tummy with cool water and she lies on the tiled kitchen floor. We monitor the house temps and if there is an a/c failure, off we go to a hotel till its repaired. From late May to late October, Grace is inside all the time with pottie breaks and night walks only. When we walk, I monitor her ear temps by hand and I have good idea if she is getting over heated.

Never, ever is she left alone in the car, even with the engine running and the a/c on. Even after sunset the temps can be in the nineties so we keep the walks short and the playing down to a minimum and carry LOTS of bottled water. Unlike other Golden owners WE DO NOT SHAVE.

I have been to the Lucky Country a few times and love it there.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Thank you so much for the info to our Australian friends. I guess, the AC question sounded very odd to you guys, going by your answers, lol. :)
40 degrees Celsius is about 104 degrees Fahrenheit. Yep, that is very hot. Our AC can work with that heat though. Guess I am lucky.
Thanks again!:D

To Lilliegrace, I don't shave my Golden either. I would never think of that. I think that thick undercoat does help even in hot weather to keep the body temp regulated, also I would not want him to get sunburned. Besides, dogs sweat through the bottom of their feet and by panting.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
You could come visit the boys and I in Northern Maine at our winter palace. It is supposed to be -15F here tonight and there is plenty of white fluffy snow to roll in. LOL

·
Gracie's mom and dad
301 Posts
-15.......................omigosh. I dont have any clothes for that kind of weather. We had 1/4" of snow last year. Brought the city to a standstill and our retriever refused to go outside. Schools closed down and people stayed home.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts