Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My little girl Tia was a 'breeder dog'. According to a vet tech at our clinic, Tia's growth was stunted because she was bred when she was just a baby herself. I adopted her at age 7, and told her that her days of being a puppy machine are over. She's pretty saggy from feeding so many puppies, but now she's loved just for being herself. Thank you for giving Allie the life and love she deserves.
And you too! There is something special about these babies that did nothing but give birth to pups. Allie is such a sweetheart, all she wants is love! And trust me, she gets it from me.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yep, she's done #1 and #2, YAY Allie. Cept I missed a 'calling' she poo'd in the hallway on the other side of the house. She hasn't had that kind of 'accident' for over a month!
We walked slowly outside and I reminded her that outside is where she goes 'potty' but hey we got the movements!

Thanks for asking. She is resting comfortably now. I checked her incision site, and it looks good. Small and all the stitches look intact. I was concerned because she jumped off the bed this morning. I saw her stand up and I said 'no, don't' and she turned and went the opposite side of the bed and jumped off.
I will worry about her until the vet says she is 'ok' , oh and she ate some kibble today too.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Glad she's P&P'd!! Relief. She doesn't know how lucky she is beign relieved of further pregnancies. Glad she has such a caring family now.

I had an 8/10 month old rescue Golden who had nine pups the day after I got her...she was the greatest Mom! She was little too, but may have been a mix. There's a recipe on here for Satin Balls...for putting weight on dogs. It might help perk her up after all the nursing she's been doing. You could even try one meal Satin balls, and one kibble, or even three meals, the extra one being about half normal. Her coat is probably a good indication of her overall health.

Tessa ate like a horse while she was nursing, and for about four months afterwards. I fed her raw, the first couple of weeks I knew if she was hungry cause she'd just stand and stare at her food bowl. She's been with her new owners for four years now, and health wise no problems.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
She has poo'd, in the hallway. I missed her calling. She's not in trouble, at all. I just cleaned it up and we walked out to her 'normal' spot and I showed her again. She hadn't had an accident in the house for over a month!

Anyways, she has peed now. I have been reading about UTI's and I am wondering at this point, should I be cleaning her after she comes in from potty?

Also, she is a very small golden, she is about 50# and actually hadn't ate yesterday morning.. She has lost weight since I got her, but I am feeding her well, and she eats regularly. She was 54# when I got her. So is her growth stunted from being a puppy birthing machine? Her teats are out of shape.. she also fed another breed's litter when the mother refused to feed the litter she had just birthed. Allie had just finished with the weaning of her second litter, and the previous owners thought that if any dog would feed the litter, Allie would. And she did. She cleaned them all up, and fed them until they were weaned. She truly is a sweetheart, compared to what ever these people did.

At least the other people did the right thing.. gave them up. Allie was given up because she isn't papered.
Tia weighed just 40 pounds and was pretty thin when we got her. She had had chronic ear infections and her coat wasn't in good shape. She's now gained a few pounds (but she's still lean), she's on a good, grain-free food and has had no ear infections, and her coat seems a bit softer.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Cam's Mom, I am going to look up Satin Ball's and see if we can fatten her up a bit. She wasn't a foody when I first got her, she would act disinterested about treats, I think she was ignored. She was however a counter surfer.

Jackson's Mom, regarding weight, the vet says Allie is real close to her ideal weight. She is a small Golden, once I get figure out my new camera(I got a new one, then it broke almost immediately and I just got it back)and using the camera with a Mac. That's a little bit of trouble. I will post a pic as soon as I figure it out..I do have one from the camera phone that I will try to get uploaded to this post.

Attachments

21 - 26 of 26 Posts