Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody else have the queen of all evil mother in laws? Mine takes the cake. First of all, when I had just started dating my husband, she got drunk at a wedding and said to me "He'll never marry you. He prefers cheerleaders...no offense!" Well, despite her predictions, we did get engaged...the entire time, she kept asking me if I was sure I wanted to marry him, marriages end up in divorce, blah blah blah...mind you, my DH and I got engaged after dating for 2 years and living together for 1..then our engagement lasted 15 months...SIL knew her husband 14 months on their wedding day and she never got any crap from MIL...my MIL always yells at my husband for his weight (he is maybe a few pounds over weight, but no where near dangerously overweight) and asks me how I find his fat butt sexually attractive...she called yesterday, and I don't think she knew she was on speaker phone because she started laying into how I am "lazy and unmotivated" because I am currently waiting on nursing schools to accept me before I try to find a part time job...just because she spends her days fixing the POS house my SIL's hubby bought and is trying to sell for WAY above worth doesn't mean I sit around all day doing nothing...then, DH told her that Maggie was feeling a little under the weather so I am going to have to call the vet and she goes "Well, my dog had diarrhea right before she died." Um really!?! Her dog was also 11 and half starved...I'm sorry, but a full grown GSD should weigh more than 49 pounds and eat more than a handful of kibble per day. Now, she has invited herself to our house for Thanksgiving saying my hubby won't get his inheritence from his dead grandmother unless she sees him. Nothing is ever good enough for her...its a 1 bedroom condo, but, our couch is too lumpy for her to sleep on, the rats stink, Maggie is too pushy for attention and too clingy, there aren't enough healthy dishes (then she gobbles down the pecan pie and ice cream cake), I'm making DH fat with all of this cooking...GRR! Give me strength, dear GRF members...lots and lots of strength and maybe a nice merlot...

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I am so sorry you have such a MIL. Does your DH stand up to her? I used to let my MIL get away with saying rude things because I felt insecure but after awhile my husband laid down the law to her and since we have been married so long I don't let her get away with saying rude things, we call her on it.

In fact she asked my single 29yr old daughter when she was going to have a baby!!!! Just because we were discussing her other two granddaughters who are single and pregnant. My daughter said"Grandma, would you prefer I have an illegitimate child and live on welfare? I'd prefer to be married and be able to afford it before I have kids!" My other daughters and I cheered her!

I would have to tell her it's not OK to expect to visit and be a guest when she insults both of you! That is more than rude!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Can you rent her a hotel room nearby, with the excuse it's too cramped and you want her to be comfy? That way you can get a break at least when she's gone back to sleep.

If that doesn't work this should be your mantra "This too shall pass, This too shall pass".

I'm sorry. I have a feeling you are going to have a really long and miserable holiday weekend.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Think I would put my whole mouth under the spicket of the biggest wine vat I could find. What a stinker this lady is!

My MIL was a drunk, and though I shouldn't have these thoughts, the only way we have made 42 yrs of marriage is that she passed away within the first 7 yrs. I was at my wits end. Her drinking and mouthing was just too much for anyone to take.

I just made sure I and our daughters saw very little of her unless it was a planned activity in public (she watched her drinking more when in public).

You can cry here anytime you want.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If that doesn't work this should be your mantra "This too shall pass, This too shall pass".
My mantra thus far is "I don't have to like her, I just have to be civil for my hubby's sake."

Hubby says he is going to read her the riot act next week when she comes (we are planning on painting, so, I have to cook a full meal around my hubby painting), but, he never does. His dad left her when hubby was small and she kind of put him into the man of the house role, so, she and his sister are always asking him for things and I am always sending them stuff...I had to buy his mom mosquito spray and mail it to her because a 60 something year old woman can't be trusted to get her own bug spray. That, by the way, is another issue..she always tells him I am a trouble making busybody because I told my hubby that his sister is married and a doctor, so, other than when she really, really needs him, she's not his responsibility anymore. I mean, yes, its terrifying to be on your own, but, he paid her phone bill, and the $600 of out of network texts every month, until she'd been married for 2 months!!

Sorry to vent again, but this whole thing is rediculous! I would be a lot more forgiving if she wasn't so mean to him...mean to me, I brush it off...mean to someone I love, and I put on the warpaint!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, I am sorry to see everyone has such crummy mothers in law! At least mine's not a drunk like Deb's...but, she did get drunk one time on Eggnog I made her that "needed to be a bit more adult" and drunk dialed my hubby...that was kind of funny. "Oooo...I love you...I don't mean to be so mean....I just have opinions and I don't want Jessi killing my baby booooooyyy with all of that fat she feeds you..." I feed him baked chicken and steamed veggies, btw.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Wow, I am sorry to see everyone has such crummy mothers in law! At least mine's not a drunk like Deb's...but, she did get drunk one time on Eggnog I made her that "needed to be a bit more adult" and drunk dialed my hubby...that was kind of funny. "Oooo...I love you...I don't mean to be so mean....I just have opinions and I don't want Jessi killing my baby booooooyyy with all of that fat she feeds you..." I feed him baked chicken and steamed veggies, btw.
I am one of those truly lucky people who had the most wonderful MIL in the world. She was an angel on earth. She passed away in 2007 and hubby and I miss her so much. It's harder near the holidays because she made them so special, not with gifts, but with her sweet spirit, cheer and great pastry making and cooking skills.:)

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
I am sorry you have to deal with all of this. It sounds like she's very pleasant. I definitely think your DH needs to stand up to her. There is no reason she should be treating you (or him) like that! Good luck on Thanksgiving.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
My side of the family made up for the bad side. Hubby was the first SIL and to the day my parents passed away they thought DH was the best thing in the world. He got very close to my parents, in many ways was a son to my Dad. So in the whole picture we have been so very blessed.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your MIL. I love my MIL like a second mother and in 37 years I've never had as much as a cross word with her. She is one of those people that gets invited everywhere because she's so much fun to be around. She'll be 91 y.o. next week and is still active and independent. She square dances, bike rides, camps and entertains. She has taught me a lot about life and how to treat people. I don't know how I got so lucky!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have had the same problem for too long it only got worse until one day I lost it and told my MIL off and didn't remember all I said to enjoy it. But no money, your health or family is worth putting up with it trust me, I let it go on for years! She got the message that day and only pushes so far now.

·
love my goofy goldens
2,431 Posts
The best thing I got out of my divorce was never having to see my mother-in-law again. She was a hateful woman and that's the best I can say about her.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Please!! Don't get me started !!!

Sorry you are going through this. I had the mil (she doesn't deserve capitals) from hell!!!
don't let her undermine you Don't let her shake your confidence. It is her that has a problem.

Please don't Get me started!! :(

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Marrying into another family is always an adjustment because they have totally different ways of doing things. When I first went to my in laws home for a visit, there was a get together of all the siblings and their families too and I was always astonished at the way they would start "talking about" whoever had just left the room (to go to the bathroom which was just a few feet away!). I mean, it was obvious that the "talked about" person could easily overhear.
And the things they would start saying were really mean spirited too.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Having a great MIL is a blessing and having a great DIL is one too. I so appreciate my DIL.

Hopefully your son will be able to speak to his mom. For the record, I wouldn't be critical of your cooking and instead would be finding a plate and fork and asking for some too.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
My MIL can make me crazy.... But I don't think it is on purpose. I believe she truly loves me and my kids with her son.... My mom who is now deceased also loved all of us, but I know she drove my husband crazy...

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I love my MIL, wife is a carbon copy of her. Now my FIL..... All I can say is my MIL is a saint....
That's funny! My FIL was a challenge--very set in his ways and always resentful of his children's spouses, but after my MIL died he we forged a very close and loving relationship. He had a massive stroke last year and we almost lost him. When he was well enough to travel his daughter took him to NC and placed him in a nursing home near her house. We don't get to see him enough now and I really miss him! He can't speak except in short words and vocalizations, but he's very good at smiles, hugs and hand holding.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks...some of those were funny...and most were very fitting.

Update: Since my MIL always tells my DH that my breasts are too big and he needs to talk me into a reduction, I have decided that I will greet her on thanksgiving in a push up bra and a v-necked sweater...put my "grotesquely gigantic chest" on full display.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts