Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Murphy is about 7 mos old and weighs 47lbs. From when we got him at 9 weeks up through about 5 months old I would say he consistently gained 2lbs or so a week. But now in the last month I would say he hasn't gained more than a few pounds. I know their growth slows down as they get older but it feels like he has completely stopped! Is this normal? He eats 3 cups of Innova adult food per day and is totally healthy. I keep waiting for another big growth spurt but it hasn't come yet. Everyone always commented on what a big boy he was going to be, and he has big paws. Vet guessed 85 or so full grown, and his dad was around 75.

I am not too concerned either way. Just curious about when we can expect the growth to pick up again or whether it will just be super gradual from here on out.

First picture is from Sept 5th, second is from last week -- so about 1.5 months in between the two. Not a great comparison sorry!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
He will reach his genetically determined size at between 9 months and two years, depends on his food and other factors. Slow growth is best. Never sweat slow growth in an adolescent dog..it prevents many problems.
But his max size was basically determined at conception.
My boy was about 60 pounds by 9 months and 75 pounds a year later.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've been wondering this also, Cody is 7 1/2 months and 57 lbs. He has large paws too, everyone says he will be huge although the breeder had said probably 70-75 lbs. based on size of parents. He has really slowed down his growth the last few weeks. Here is a picture of him taken yesterday with my sons' dog and one from a months ago:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Goldens spend their entire first year of life growing. By about 6 months, the rate of growth usually starts to slow down. They don't finish filling out until they are around 2 years old, but usually reach their full adult size by 12 months. All dogs are different and genetics plays a big role in determining a dog's size. As already mentioned, slow growth is best in large breed dogs. It's much better for their bones and joints. I wouldn't worry about it at all. He will probably have one more growth spurt within the next couple of months.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I wondered the same thing with Brady. He stayed at the same weight from 9 months until he turned 1 year. I started to think something was wrong, then his weight slowly started creaping up again between 12-15 months. He's at another plateau now, but I suspect he will gain a little more as he continues to fill out.

·
luv my goldens
481 Posts
Kira,
I don't have anything to add I just wanted to say he is sure getting big.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts