Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my boyfriend and I were walking Vito when he accidentally stepped on his foot and he started to bleed. I thought it was ripped toenail, so waited until we got home to investigate. Come to find out it is some kind of lump/growth on the top of his toe/paw. It didn't bleed a ton, and I cleaned it with antiseptic. The front of the lump seemed to almost peel off when I cleaned it...

I am always playing with his feet and trimmed his nails a week ago...I never noticed anything then. I'm going to call the vet first thing in the AM, but any idea what this is? Vito leaves it completely alone and it doesn't seem to really bother him. Sorry for the nasty pictures. :(

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
We are near the end of a long saga that began with a similar growth on Joker's left front foot. That tale is told in two threads: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...1722-joker-does-not-have-mast-cell-tumor.html and http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...eed-standard/103725-prayers-joker-please.html.

The first vet who looked at the odd growth said it might be an "old dog wart" (Joker is 10) but thought it was probably mast cell cancer and needed to come out. Then an oncologist said no way - did a needle aspiration and said there was inflammation but no cancer and we should watch it and follow up as needed. Joker likes to lick his foot and soon he had a shiny red growth that was getting bigger and starting to split open, despite our best efforts to manage it. So off to a veterinary referral clinic we go, for yet another evaluation and aspiration. To shorten a long story, the surgeon was able to get all of the growth and he was able to close the incision, despite fears that there would not be enough skin for that. The mass was not cancer of any kind and Joker is just now beginning to go for hours at a time without his dread cone.

All of that said, that growth probably needs to come off and the sooner the better, since many such things grow and spread quickly to other areas - or so we were told about Joker's. I hope you are able to get to good veterinarian who can do what is needed quickly.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are new to the area and haven't found a vet yet...just a highly rated e-vet for emergencies.

I scoured Yelp and Google this morning...found a clinic open today and we are taking him in an hour. Fingers crossed that it is nothing serious.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'm not sure? I thought it was dirt from being outside...but it doesn't rub come off very easy.
Ask the vet about it when you go. I don't want to add a new worry--but we found a black dot/skin tag thing on Toby's nose. It's still too small to biopsy according to his regular vet, but in the discussions she mentioned the color black sometimes indicates a melanoma. They usually aren't as serious as it initially seems unless they are inside the mouth or embedded in the nail beds of dogs and those you want to get off asap. That's why I asked and I really don't want to worry you at this point. It could be just part of the sore--a blackish scab or something. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
any word yet?

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Definitely hit the vet. It's very hard to tell what it might be from the pictures, especially since it looks torn up, so it's hard to see what it might have looked like before the injury.

Remember that most growths are benign, so don't freak out. But do get a vet's hands-on opinion and keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why can I never find a vet that I really like? This vet didn't even introduce herself when she walked in the room. :doh:

She wasn't 100% sure but thought it was either a Histiocytoma or Mast Cell. :( The vet tried to aspirate it, but it's just in too much of a sensitive area. She advised a wait and see approach for the next week or 2. If it gets any bigger it will need to be removed and biopsied. I'm pretty worried. Any advice or information would be great. Should I take pictures and measure it every few days to keep track of its growth?

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Having been through the mast cell drama with Joker only to have his growth prove benign, I know all too well what you're going through right now and I just ache for you. Since you don't like the vet you saw and you may be dealing with a cancer, maybe it would make sense to get another opinion from a veterinary oncologist?

After being disturbed by a needle, mast cell cancers can throw off histamines that cause problems elsewhere in the body (probably not an issue for very small tumor) and sometimes they throw out cells to spread themselves. One of the most important things I learned about mast cell cancers is that they usually respond to Benedryl by shrinking. In fact, our vet regarded that as a simple indicator of whether the mass was mast cell. The recommended dose for 80 pound Joker was 50-75 mg.

There are lots of GRF threads by people whose dogs survived for years after a mast cell diagnosis, so don't panic. It isn't usually one of the cancers that steal our babies quickly.

Hugs and prayers,
Lucy

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'd try to find a new vet that you feel you are more comfortable with and get a second opinion at the same time. In the interim I'd keep an eye on it, maybe try to do some basic measurements if possible, to monitor growth. I'm sorry you are dealing with this--now you will worry over the Christmas holiday.:(

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought I was handling it okay, but I just had a huge breakdown. I can't bear the thought of my boy having cancer...he isn't even 4. :( I know mast cell isn't necessarily a death sentence, but I'm so worried.

Is it too premature to see an oncologist? I'll take measurements and some more pictures of it now that it's less inflamed.

As far as Benadryl...I could try that too and see if the lump looks any better. Thoughts?

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I thought I was handling it okay, but I just had a huge breakdown. I can't bear the thought of my boy having cancer...he isn't even 4. :( I know mast cell isn't necessarily a death sentence, but I'm so worried.

Is it too premature to see an oncologist? I'll take measurements and some more pictures of it now that it's less inflamed.

As far as Benadryl...I could try that too and see if the lump looks any better. Thoughts?
You are worried, it's natural to breakdown, but chances are it is benign. Even though it's hard to do right not, try to stay positive around Vito--because they pick up on our emotions and he might wonder what is going on that is upsetting you and get stressed out himself. He's young and the odds are very good this is just a benign growth.

It's never too premature to see an oncologist for a second opinion if that will ease your stress. I'm actually mulling this over myself for Toby. We need veterinary referrals to see them here. You probably don't want to do the benadryl though before being seen for the second opinion, so they can see exactly what it looks like--but that's just my personal opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
You have every right to come unglued, especially given the insensitivity of the veterinarian who gave you this news. Remember that just because she said the words "mast cell" doesn't mean it's true, as Joker is a case in point.

Too soon? The day after I heard threat of cancer, I made an appointment for Joker with an oncologist. It took that long only because we had to find one and wait for the offices to open. The sooner you see an oncologist, the sooner you'll know what you're dealing with. My prayer for you is that you can get this resolved quickly and with a happy outcome.

Take some deep breaths and enjoy some time with Vito if you can. Dallas Gold is right that he will pick up your emotions, so you want to focus on the joy of being with him.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
There's no medical reason to see an oncologist yet. If you want to pay for one, that's your prerogative, but a burst histiocytoma is gross and harmless. Benign is still far, far more likely than anything else.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I had an Irish Setter that had a growth coming out from between his toes. We had it removed- it came out benign on testing and it never grew back. The Vet said that it is common. This growth grew quickly like your dogs did. Just to ease your mind some.:wave:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Time to find a vet

I would have that followed up sooner than latter. I've had 3 goldens with mast cells. The smaller it is the easier it is to get the lump off. Maybe you should post where you live and ask for vet recommendations. Get it aspirated. Good Luck. Let us know how you make out. PM with specific questions

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
A histiocytoma which is histiologically similar to a mast cell should disappear within a month. If is doesn't disappear or it gets bigger and changes, remove it...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts