Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy is now 18 months old and we’re starting to think about getting him neutered. His breeder said he might benefit from waiting a few more months. If we neuter him before age 2 will he still continue to fill out and will his head grow more?

current pics of him at 18 months

Thanks

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,938 Posts
You need to wait for the growth plates to close and for him to reach sexual and developmental maturity. In Goldens that happens somewhere between 22 an 24 months of age. So it would be best to wait until around August.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a reason he has to be neutered anytime soon? There would have to be an extremely compelling reason for me to consider neutering a male Golden at all much less before age 2.
The only reason we wanted to do it before the summer is because we live on the bay and he constantly wants to swim but I guess we can always wait until the fall

·
Kristy
10,349 Posts
The only reason we wanted to do it before the summer is because we live on the bay and he constantly wants to swim but I guess we can always wait until the fall
I'm not sure I understand this... Is there a reason he has to be neutered to swim? Work hard on his obedience training for the next couple of months and then find a safe place to take him swimming where neutering isn't a requirement.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure I understand this... Is there a reason he has to be neutered to swim? Work hard on his obedience training for the next couple of months and then find a safe place to take him swimming where neutering isn't a requirement.
No, we just figured we’d have to keep him out of the bay until he’s healed

·
Kate
22,842 Posts
You do realize that you really don't have to neuter....?

He's a gorgeous boy.

Would hold off - probably until he's about 30+ months old.

He looks like he's still filling out. Difficult to explain, but a 3-4 year old's bones feel different than a 1-2 year old's bones. There's a much more solid feeling to them. They also have their muscle filling around around their shoulders, and rib spring, etc. Better to wait. No rush with a boy dog.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Our boy is five. Six this summer. He's intact. I say wait.
Our next male won't get neutered either unless there is a medical reason to do so.
Your boy is very good looking btw.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.