Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have a new puppy and its the first time I've ever lived with a young dog. We've had her three days now. She's nine weeks old. She's getting used to her crate and is sleeping well in it at night. We've only had a few of potty accidents, and most of them have been more my fault than hers.

I have her in the crate whenever I cannot supervise her. I'm a stay at home mom so I can get her outside about every 1 1/2 hours to two hours for some exercise and play. I've been doing some extremely short clicker training a couple times a day.

During play with her toys, she has started doing this thing where she looks at a toy intently, barks at it, growls and then pounces on it, bites it hard and shakes it savagely. Is this normal behavior? My last/first dog was a very old lazy rescued pit bull that was more like furniture than a pet, she never did this , so I am not sure.

I run around the yard and let her chase me to get her exercise. She seems to love it but eventually she gets really over excited and goes into a pounce pose and growls at me. I tell her no, but I wonder if I should do more

I read online that just stopping playtime should be enough to teach her not to get over excited and growl. Knowing that play time will be over immediately if she does.

She's also whines a lot to get out of the crate and today barked once loudly and then growled.

Is my puppy showing signs off aggression. Is this normal behavior? Should I house the same disapline routine I use for play bite/nip or is something else warrented.

I appreciate any advice that would help us achieve a well mannered, safe, happy, family pet.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Sounds like she is play growling. Cookie will do this when she is happy and has a toy in her mouth - she will shake it wildly while prancing around the room.

Does she pounce on your feet while you are running around? Cookie did this when she was a puppy, especially to my kids. It probably means she is over excited, and hasn't yet learned how to calm herself down. That will come with training and age.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,523 Posts
That is totally normal -- and super cute -- puppy behavior. Relax and enjoy it. You have a puppy! The whole world is an exciting play thing!

Reactions: Willow52

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
The pounce pose is actually an invitation to play-rear up in the air, front down on the ground. Love it.

Sounds like she is a happy, confident puppy :)

·
red golden Pira
188 Posts
Hi! I would think is normal.. and cute! What I would do though to help her cope with her impulse control is:

- stop playing before she reaches to a point where you think is too much (if she bites you too hard, jump on you).

- immediately give her a stuffed kong (with a spoon of plain yogurt, for example) and tell her "settle". Go away.

- after she finishes the kong, wait for a minute and resume playing!

That will help her to feel like what calming down is between play sections.

: o )

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Kate
21,665 Posts
I've posted a video a few times here showing Bertie when he was about 10 weeks old or so running around my bedroom and growling with his toys and pouncing on them...

Absolutely sweet and absolutely normal.

Bertie is and always has been a submissive and very mellow little guy. Not an aggressive bone in his body. :)

And yes at 7 months old he still does tge gremlin runs and pounces on his toys in my room every night. I hope he never outgtows it.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
Max is almost 6 - I have a hard time believing that most days - and he STILL pounces on his toys and shakes them hard at least a couple times a week. It makes me laugh :)

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Sounds like typical puppy antics. No worries.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
He's playing what I call "fierce beast." it's how they practice what they would do if they were still wild. It's very normal and I think all puppies do it. My itty bitty 10-year old spaniel still does it on occasion. My Tucker does it with a ball--he'll run at it from across the yard, leap in the air and pounce on it as if he's the king of the jungle. It's very funny. :D

Personally I wouldn't encourage the chasing as a play activity, either you being chased or you chasing her. At some point she's going to be a big dog and you don't want her thinking it's OK to chase people, kids, etc. It can be scary.

Welcome to GRF. I hope you'll post some pictures of your baby. What's her name?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts