Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Gross! Just wanted to share ...

1K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  lilgoldie 
#1 ·
Ok, so the squeaker plush toys are definitely out. They used to be ok and last and now they have become things to destroy and then eat. I woke up at 2:30am last night to a lot of noise, Eddie had put a perfect hole in the middle of his plush, squaking teddy bear and proceeded to gut the thing. There was poly fill all over the room scattered and the squeaker was gone. I figured he ate it and it would either pass or we would be at the vet. Well, he pooped fine all day but no squeaker. He just now threw up which he never does and wouldn't you know it, the squeaker (among many other very gross things) was a mangled mess of pieces (yes, only a mother could touch that and sort thru it to be sure the squeaker was in there). From now on only tennis balls and I have also found lacrosse balls to be a good option.

#5 ·
Ruby is not only a chewer, she's an eater and I panicked once because I thought she ate not only the squeaker but also some of the poly fill and whatever fabric the toy was made of. Vet said the stuffing wasn't a problem but the squeaker definitely was so now when she gets the stuffie open, away it goes.

Samwise doesn't seem interested in the stuffing or the squeaker, just wants to play with it.

#6 ·
Mandy chewed up a plastic lime green colored toy earlier this spring. I was so afraid of what we were going to be in for. But after a day or so she started to leave lime green polka dotted poo outside. LOL She had chewed the toy into small bits and after a couple days we were back to normal and all such toys have been discarded.

#7 ·
I know there's several dogs here that only have their hard rubber Kongs. Because they've chewed up all the destructible toys.

Even Samson, who is obsessed with tennis balls, has taken to peeling the yellow fuzz from his prized tennis balls.

#9 ·
My goldens have all loved ripping up tennis balls, after playing with them for a while. Chelsea, the golden I had when I did daycare, had a 'thing' for crayons and play-dough. Good thing they were non-toxic, as the backyard certainly was colorful! I learned very quickly that those items needed to remain up high. :)

#12 ·
My Simba loves to peel the fuzz off of tennis balls. It was so bad that we had to take them away and get rid of them. He only gets hard rubber toys now. Of course the other day I was walking him and he 'found' a tennis ball on someone else's lawn! He just picked it up and carried it home. He wouldn't let me have it - so I waited until he was asleep. I'm sure he would go nuts if he saw a tennis ball on tv! I just hope I don't ever encounter some children playing with one while on a walk with Simba. LOL

#14 ·
My pup loves to gnaw tennis balls into itsy bitsy pieces....and she destroys anything that we play fetch with. If it's just a chew toy, she leaves it alone, but as soon as she finds out it can also fly, she mutilates it until there is nothing left. I'd like to hunt with her, but this could be an issue.... :)

#15 ·
Brittany said:
My pup loves to gnaw tennis balls into itsy bitsy pieces....and she destroys anything that we play fetch with. If it's just a chew toy, she leaves it alone, but as soon as she finds out it can also fly, she mutilates it until there is nothing left. I'd like to hunt with her, but this could be an issue.... :)
I'm sure you can train for that....and that's something they can outgrow, too.

#16 ·
my pup do it too i think its built into the dog destroy ant thing we can....

i work part time in a kennels too and poo picking was great you find out the weirdest things a dogs ate.... one time i found sponge in it.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.