Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, im still looking for the right breeder and dont have a puppy yet, but does any1 have any tips on grooming for a puppy, and adult. like techniques, types of brushes, est....

thanks in advance,
Fransheska :p

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi, i got Cooper a little soft brush to start off with. I got him at the end of last year and so far i have been very surprised at how little hair he has actually cast, but i think it takes about 2 years for his full coat to grow in. To start off with he was quite hard to groom as he wanted to bite the brush all the time, so i started off only brushing him for a couple of seconds and giving him a chew stick. I gradually brushed him for longer and now he sits for a quite a while getting brushed, but has not forgot about his treat! I do not know if me living in a colder climate has anything to do with the casting of hair, so if anybody knows anything more let us know!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Fransheska - I groomed our GR for 8 years and tried almost everything on the shelves at the pet store.

First off - I found the Goldens to be very easy to groom. After trying several brushes and even a rubber pad, I found that the best for Woody was a simple comb. Since Woody was an avid outdoors dog he usually came home with lots of burrs, twigs, and stuff in his coat. The comb easily removed all the stuff and left his coat smooth and shiny. I usually bathed him in a good dog shampoo, then a light conditioner, and finally he loved to be blown dry with my wife's hair dryer. I would comb him while drying and it was quite simple.

I also used a thinning shears behind each ear about once a year. At first I tried to trim the hair around his paws and between his toes but I couldn't quite master that task. So Woody spent the rest of his life with fluffy paws and we were both happy with that. Although ice was sometimes a problem in the winter. Especially if we were out for long periods.

What ever you do, please try to make grooming time pleasurable for your dog. Make the sessions short and heap on the praise during the event. Always treat your pal during and after the grooming.

Man, I got long winded. Sorry.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Guru of Grooming

Hi Sheka!

Well first things first, you need to decide what sort of grooming tips your after. Because there is maitenance grooming, which is pretty basic. And then there is show dog grooming, which is a WHOLE other story. Whether you wish to show your golden or not, intense grooming can bring you alot of satisfaction. However, in order to achieve this, your dog must be ready, able and happy to let you poke, prod and brush him to death! heheh Until then, he will fight you with every stroke and it is unpleasant for both of you. Anyway...You should start with a rubber hand glove all over the body, followed with a slicker brush, then a comb only on the rough spots. This is done every two days for maintenance. Once weekly, you should wash your him with either quality dog shampoo & conditioner (I use oatmeal shampoo with aloe vera, alternated with emu oil shampoo every other week. Conditioner is sea kelp with cococut & jojoba oil extract). I find this extracts keep the coat incredibly soft, shiny and healthy. You could also use cheap human shampoo/conditioner with a bit of disinfectant mixed in. Doesn't work quite as well but does the job without any harm. After the bath, towel dry thoroughly then blowdry and brush the coat in the opposite direction of hair growth. Use moose on feet and hairspray on rest of body if going to a show. Use a undercoat comb to remove dead hair then follow weekly procedure of glove/slicker/comb. Trim all fur under the paw and around the claws. In Australia, we also trim the whiskers off to accenuate the dark pores they extend from. Tail should be trimmed to the tip of bone. All feathering left in place. So Sheka, I bet when you asked about Grooming you weren't thinking it would be so full on. Well unfortunately it can be a very time & energy consuming thing. But it lets you and your golden bond and there's nothing like seeing them all fluffed up after your hard work! Hope this cleared up everything you were needing to know. Have a great day! Charm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gramma B

Our first Lovey had so much under wool that grooming could take quite awhile. I just used one of those brushes with the bristles on one side and the metal soft tipped things on the other side. She would let me brush for a long while and then would go off a ways and look at me and bark as if to say. "Now, that is enough!" I would use a grocery bag to collect the fur in and could have spun it, there was so much. She was so big that we would have to take her to the river to bathe.
Now, Lovey 2 seems more vain and will be content to let me brush her all over. She will roll over and move around so I can even brush her back 'feathers' and tail.:) She loves to take many jaunts to the river each day and keeps herself looking pretty good.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Our Golden,Duke(RIP),loved the vacuum cleaner.We would have to put him outside before we vacuumed the house.My mom gave us a old Electrolux that had a stiff comb like attachment for curtains that we used on Duke.He loved it!He would even drag his vacuum out for company to use on him.
I've never had another dog that would allow this grooming technique.Just Duke.:D
Shane
BTW. Check out this vacuum setup.I want one and I'm saving my pennies to get one.
http://aquaair-wetdry.com/

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
My Toby used to let me vacuum him. It was so awesome at shedding time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts