Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Kim & Flora
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a grooming table when I got Flora, and I've probably had her up there about 10 times now. She is very good about letting me pick up her front paws and clipping them, but boy, when it comes to her back paws she wants nothing to do with me. How do I go about clipping her back paws? Do I need someone else to help me at first? She's not scared, she just keeps twisting around to see what I'm doing.

Also, how snug should the loop around her neck be? I place it so it's right underneath her ears sort of, but sometimes I get the feeling it's too tight, so I loosen it - but when I loosen it, she'll slip right out of it and get loose.

Thanks! :)

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
I hope someone will provide you with some help.

I don't know about this because I just groom my two on the floor. But, I know that the back paws are more sensitive than the front because they typically receive less stimulation than the front paws.

Good luck. :wave:

·
Kim & Flora
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I would groom my girl on the floor, but... well, I don't really have a reason not to. It's easier on my back with a grooming table, so maybe that's why.

And I just nicked her quick about 5 minutes ago cutting one of her nails. I didn't even notice it until I saw the blood, since she didn't flinch or whimper at all. Poor girl. :(

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I feel your pain, only I have it a bit worse. Tucker won't even let me do his front paws and he's starting to get the slipper feet! :doh:

It's funny because he always wants us to hold his paw and pet his paws, so he's used to us handling his feet, but when he sees the scissors and clippers....no way!

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
A couple of things you can try.
Have someone help you and hold her while she is also hooked up to th grooming arm/loop which should be snug. They can try to distrct using a kong filled with peanut butter or something similar
You could also try putting the loop around her waist near her rear, but if she is turning to see what you are doing this would not work, unless you can set up a second arm/loop to control both ends.

·
Kim & Flora
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Hank! I usually do have someone assist me, but seeing as I've been alone for about 2 weeks I really wanted to get her nails clipped. I think what I'll do for now is clip them while she's napping (very sneaky) and then once I have more people in the house I'll have them assist me until she's more comfortable with it. She also doesn't really like the sound of thinning shears, so I need to get her used to those as well.

I have to admit - I get a kick out of grooming her. I wish she had more fur right now so I could do it all the time! I used to work in a hair salon, and obviously I miss it. ;)

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Kim - husband nearly bought the grooming table too, but since I have done all of the grooming for the "boys", didn't want to spend the money at the time. Should have - Duncan is quite the ornery monster when it comes to grooming, at least so far.

I've been trimming his nails once a week just using normal nail clippers. Since the puppy nails are softer, thought it would be easier for me to do without hurting him. Usually do it after exercise so he's a little worn out, then I sit with him on the floor and take one paw at a time. So far, he's not had any problem with that.

I'll probably start using the big dog nail clippers in the next week or so, I'll let you know how that goes!

·
16,000 Posts
Try teaching her to lay on her side on the table. Massage her feet and feed feed her treats without actually clipping the nails. Then let her get down. Do this several times until she is comfortable and enjoys it. Having them on their side on the table makes nail trimming as well as grooming the feet and getting the belly completely brushed/combed much easier for both you and the dog. Mine all sleep on the table while I do feet. I have a nice stool with a back that I sit on while I do it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
As for how snug the noose should be think like a collar, you should be able to slip 2 fingers under it.

As for wanting to turn around. Try putting some peanut butter on the arm for her to lick. Gives her somthing to do. I hold back feet by standing with my back towards their head and tucking my elbow between the back legs I then use that hand to hold the foot. This gives me control and allows me to protect the hip by not allowing the leg to lift up to far and allows me to support some of the dogs weight if necessary (age). Good luck

PG way works too. I just couldent really do it in a salon setting.

·
16,000 Posts
As for how snug the noose should be think like a collar, you should be able to slip 2 fingers under it.

As for wanting to turn around. Try putting some peanut butter on the arm for her to lick. Gives her somthing to do. I hold back feet by standing with my back towards their head and tucking my elbow between the back legs I then use that hand to hold the foot. This gives me control and allows me to protect the hip by not allowing the leg to lift up to far and allows me to support some of the dogs weight if necessary (age). Good luck

PG way works too. I just couldent really do it in a salon setting.
I've seen it used in grooming salons, as well, but not often. It's a wonderful thing for big brushouts ie OES, Std. Poodles, Bouviers, and Rough Collies.
My dogs are all taught from a very young age (they are on the table by 4 weeks) that the table is a great place to be. It's one on one time, lots of treats and kisses. They all will stand in a very loose noose for any grooming that I do, as well as being taught to lay on their side (which I like as well as they do. It also makes thing much easier and safer once they are geriatrics. Mine will happily allow (and enjoy) being groomed in any way I ask of them, and ALL attempt to get on the table whenever they pass one.

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
So I bought a grooming table when I got Flora, and I've probably had her up there about 10 times now. She is very good about letting me pick up her front paws and clipping them, but boy, when it comes to her back paws she wants nothing to do with me. How do I go about clipping her back paws? Do I need someone else to help me at first? She's not scared, she just keeps twisting around to see what I'm doing.

Also, how snug should the loop around her neck be? I place it so it's right underneath her ears sort of, but sometimes I get the feeling it's too tight, so I loosen it - but when I loosen it, she'll slip right out of it and get loose.

Thanks! :)
I find that it's not the tightness of the noose - it's the height of the arm. I keep mine pretty tight - think hand in collar tightness...I have the noose in the same position I'd put a conformation slip - right behind the jaw and directly behind the ears.

I used to do the rear toes like farriers do horses' rear feet. Holding up and back with the paw "up". After I broke my wrist I found this position to be really uncomfortable for me - and the dogs too. So I ended up asking them to lay down on a hip and dremeling them at that angle. Seems to be more comfortable for both of us. Still easier than doing them on the floor - I've actually pulled up a chair to get down to that level. Also makes trimming the bottom of their feet easier too...

Erica

1 - 12 of 12 Posts