Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be taking Zoey to the groomers for the first time next week. What should I expect? I am taking her to a local registered golden breeder who also does grooming. How long should it take? Any suggestions on if I should do anything for Zoey before we go? I'm not sure what I should be asking. Help! lol
I have always brushed and bathed her myself but we have taken her to someone else to have her nails clipped.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I think you will be fine. All of the horror stories I have read here were the result of grooming being done by someone unfamiliar with grooming goldens. My guys have never been to a groomer so I can't offer any more advice.

·
801 Posts
You should expect a clean dog for one, feet trimmed, pads cleared out, nails, a thorough brushing. If you want anything else done, just ask her to do it. I'm sure she will be more than happy to answer any questions you have. And as far as time goes, that to she will tell you.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Watch out, my guys tail feathers by his butt were cut off. They just grew in at a year old. If there is something you don't want done, make sure you tell them first.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I will keep it all in mind. I think she is gonna enjoy it.

·
Harleys Dad
1,052 Posts
The routine for a Golden bath and blow-out usually is nails, ears, pads, wash, and blow dry. When a double coated dog is washed, conditioned, and blown out, the amount of undercoat that is blown out is mind boggling, and the more you blow dry the more hair blows out. As far as cutting.....a golden usually only needs very light scissoring on the furnishings and possibly some thinning around the ears, neck, and bloomers, to neaten them up. The time to do this is generally less than 2 hours unless the dog has never been groomed and has issues about it. A reputable breeder may or may not not possess the necessary skills to groom, ask alot of questions......
Jerry and Harley

1 - 6 of 6 Posts