Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone —

Coming to this forum for the first time because I am at a loss and looking for some reassurance.

We took our 8 month old golden (Honey) to the groomer for the first time today. Let me preface this by saying I did not know anyone in the area that has used a groomer for a golden. I spoke with the groomer prior and was VERY clear about only trimming up her feet, ears, and very minimal outline trim of her feathering. Specifically said NO shaving or clipping. The groomer also noted she had previous experience with a ‘show cut,' and would do this for Honey.

When I picked her up—her whole body had been cut using a clippers (including her back which had very long hair prior). I could not believe it and am sick to my stomach. She had beautiful long gorgeous hair that is now short all over. I expressed my disappointment with this & also spoke with the manager about it.

I know a lot of people will say I’m overreacting— but I have cried too much about this and coming to this forum for reassurance if anyone has had a similar experience.

Will her hair grow back?? Will she ever be the same? Any suggestions to keep her safe or suggestions to help her hair grow back? Thank you <3

(before and after pics attached)

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
There have been many posts similar to yours and members do always reassure that it will grow back (I can’t speak from experience since the only time my dog was shaved was her belly when she was spayed). If that happened to me, I would leave a negative review if they have Yelp that you were very clear about what you wanted trimmed and no shaving and they disregarded your instructions.

·
Kate
22,266 Posts
Actually - considering some that I've seen, that doesn't look that bad. I can't actually tell (if you didn't say so) that clippers had been used on the jacket (ok - looking again, I can see it's been buzzed short, but I wouldn't have thought about it too much). I don't see enough of "furnishings" in either picture to judge what had been taken off and how. Ears and feet look better in the trimmed picture.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
It will grow back. It will take some time, but it will be fine. I haven’t taken any of my dogs to a groomer for many years because of an experience like this. I have gotten pretty good at doing feet. I need to learn how to do ears properly, but my boys look pretty good naturally.

·
Registered
907 Posts
It will be fine in the long run. My 1.5 yo currently looks like she has no coat some places because she blew her coat after first season and puppy fur. Now she’s growing back and looks like a ragamuff in the ears because groomer hasn’t called me.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
The after picture looks fine. The dog still has a majority of the coat (including the jacket) and the furnishings appear to have been trimmed but not excessively. Your dog is fine. What has been trimmed will grow back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It will grow back. It will take some time, but it will be fine. I haven’t taken any of my dogs to a groomer for many years because of an experience like this. I have gotten pretty good at doing feet. I need to learn how to do ears properly, but my boys look pretty good naturally.
Thank you for your help! I’m definitely going to learn after this. Did your dog that had a similar experience have their hair grow back the same as it was before? I’m worried it won’t grow back the same texture, length, or as nice as before…but she is still a puppy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts