Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we got Bentley, we also got a grooming table and dog dryer. I've tried to get him used to it, but he never cooperates when he is on the table. He always sits on the table instead of standing, which makes it hard to groom and dry his rear. How can I get him to stay standing while I work on him?

Also, he does not like the dryer or the scissors. Working on his feet or ears is quite the ordeal. I've worked with him since we got him on letting me examine him, touch him, play with his feet and ears, and he has always been ok. But once I start drying or cutting, he struggles and pulls away.

Any tips?

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Pet Edge sells a harness that holds the head up and the hindquarters up. I also got an anti fatigue mat from Pet Edge for my grooming table which also seems to help. I often let mine sit for the front half anyway. You just need to be more persistent than he is...

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Something to consider- does the grooming table shake at all? I don't have one so I wouldn't know. Even a tiny bit, he would feel it and likely feel more secure sitting than standing. If it is 'slippery' for him, he may feel insecure and sit. Work on making the table a fun place for him, reward him for getting up there, remaining there briefly, and for getting off. If you are lifting him on and off then reward him for just 'being there', then take him off, gradually increasing the time he is to stay there. Perhaps work on a 'stand' command, teach this when he is on the floor, then once he 'gets it', reteach on the table until he is comfortable with it - reward throughout the process. Desensitize him to the grooming tool, show it to him, let him sniff, reward, touch it to him, reward, repeat until he is comfortable having it touching him. Nail clipping, - reward him for letting you have his paw when he is on the table, it is different to him than if he was on the floor, clip a nail when he is ready, reward, release for a few minutes, repeat for the next one, frequently reward each step, and don't 'push on' until he is comfortable at each level and try not to 'overwhelm' him by doing too much all at once without a 'break'.

Reactions: LibertyME

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
be extremely careful when drying around the ears... Ive accidentally blasted my own ears...it hurts and is loud as all-get-out!

When you are working on his feet, watch how far you may be pulling his leg away from his body? I get much more compliance if I hold their leg a bit closer so they can keep their balance.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Lots and lots of high value treats broke the mould for Chester and I, hes a real tart now and tries to leap on any table if a chair is pulled out and a brush is in sight! He loves it and to get him to stand you need to become a dab hand at grooming one handed whilst holding a hardy chewy treat with the other hand that you hold on to whilst he nibbles. I use dried liver treats, dried beef, anything that keeps him standing and nibbling and interested...whilst I comb or clip or dry! Or someone does the treat and I do the grooming. The rest of the time I let him sit or lay down when it doesnt matter and we have lots of loving and fun. He now lays realllly still to let me cut his tail flat against the table and watches whilst I do it...I NEVER thought I would see the day...all the time I am saying wait wait wait and he knows he will get a great reward and hugs at the end! Good luck! The tips about a shaking table are good too, ours shook and really spooked Chester and be sure it has good grip for him too.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Ditto what everyone else has said. You can try to put something underneath him so that way he can not sit down. Box, small bucket, caddy, etc...

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
I let them sit when I do not need them standing. When I do need them standing, I support their loin with my fore arm underneath them whenever they look like they might sit.

You might want to set up an appointment with a groomer so they can show you how to best position the legs and feet when they are being worked on. It it very hard to describe how bringing the leg backward yet close to the body can give them a sense of stability, but it works :)

I just finished tidying up my 3 - it takes about an hour for feet, nails, ears and combing them all out and they wait outside the door for their turn - they now love their grooming time and will try to get on the table whenever they are in the room :) . I save combing out for last, then they get to run down the stairs to the table for their liver treats. So they are rewarded first by their comb out and then by their liver treats for being patient with the dremel, trimming, thinning etc.

When I dry them it takes an additional 1/2 hour per dog and I do need to have Ms Towhee on a leash (I don't trust the nooses) but my other 2 seem to enjoy the drier blowing through their fur - now, at first they hated it.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Are you using a grooming arm? The loop helps keep the dog in place and if you put it just high enough it is more comfortable for them to stand then sit. You could do this at first to get the idea across that standing is better. I also have a loop that goes around the head and around the waist to keep the dog from sitting. Someone gave it to me so I don't know what it's called or where to buy it. What I do it put my arm under the loin so he can't sit down.

If you're trying to do feet and he won't stay still... pick up the other foot. Just last night I was grooming Teller, he's 5 months. I wanted to trim the front left foot so I picked up his front right and held it. That way he put his weight on the left foot so I could trim and he couldn't squirm.

Dry on low for a while. I towel dry the ears and then blow them dry last so they have more time to air dry. I always hold them flat to the head so I'm not blowing directly into the ear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts