Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What sort of grooming tools should I be buying? So far I have the Furminator, a pin brush, a bristle brush and a slicker brush on my list. Is there anything here that I don't really need or is there something I'm missing? I just want to make sure before I place my order.

Also, I know that a pup's coat is different than an adult's, so which tools should I use and which ones should I avoid using while he is a pup?

Thanks!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Im not a big fan of the furminator...preferring a rake instead...
You already have a pin brush and slicker.... good
Do you have a steel comb? Those are really helpful...

At his age...the goal is (IMO) to get the puppy accustomed to the sensation of being groomed, used to being restrained and having all of his body parts examined...

Groom frequently in short sessions...then when he really 'needs' to be groomed...he will already have the foundation he needs to make grooming a pleasure for both you and him...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a particular reason why you don't like the Furminator? It's gotten so many rave reviews that it's tempting to buy. And when getting the pup used to being groomed, should I use all of the tools or just one in particular? I'm afraid that a rake/furminator may damage his puppy coat and I'm not sure about the other brushes. Thanks so much. :)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Is there a particular reason why you don't like the Furminator? It's gotten so many rave reviews that it's tempting to buy. And when getting the pup used to being groomed, should I use all of the tools or just one in particular? I'm afraid that a rake/furminator may damage his puppy coat and I'm not sure about the other brushes. Thanks so much. :)
Ive now know several Goldens that have been 'over furminated' and badly damaged their coats...the packaging says it doesn't damage the coat,....but the results are evident...if you look at the ends of the hair they are squared off...not tapered.
A comb, and pinbush and frequent, short grooming sessions give good results...with a rake for times when they are blowing their coat....

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree it is important to get them use to the sensation of being groomed. I didn't introduce the rake early enough and now Paxton hates it. The metal comb is a life saver though.
Also, both my groomer and vet have spoke to me about the furminator. They both say that it takes out too much hair and can easily hurt your dog. I have not used it so I have no personal experience with it though.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
We use a rake as well and it does a great job. The rake is also much less expensive @ $7 than the $50 to $60 for the furminator.

In addition to the brushes recommended in previous posts, I would also recommend a spray bottle to wet your puppy when you're grooming to avoid hair breakage. I mix 2/3 water with 1/3 Listerine. This mixture also gives your puppy a very pleasant smell without bathing and a shiny coat!

I would also recommend a very good pair of nail clippers or Dremmel to keep those nails in good shape.

Whatever you get to groom your puppy, make sure that you do it almost daily but in short intervals to get your new pup used to the "ordeal". Yes, that's what it usually is in the beginning:doh:. As they get used to it, it will become easier & easier. My Razz just lies there & goes to sleep!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I won't be buying the Furminator. I found an undercoat rake on amazon that has gotten a number of great reviews, so I'll be getting that one instead. I also added a steel comb to my list as well. I will be following all your suggestions. Thanks so much for the help!! ;)

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Nail trimmers are a must! The more often you trim the pups nails when he is young, the easier it will be the rest of his life. I clipped once a week with Mira.

I LOVE my furminator. But I only use it once every few months. You can go overboard with it. I doubt you need it for a pup. Mira is 16 months now and I have not used it on her. I would wait and revisit the idea in a year or so from now.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nail trimmers are a must! The more often you trim the pups nails when he is young, the easier it will be the rest of his life. I clipped once a week with Mira.
Yep, I have nail clippers on my list already. I will make sure to trim the nails once a week, thanks. I just hope I won't hurt him. I've never cut a dog's nails before. Cats and rabbits, but not a dog's. I've always left that to the groomer. I also have Kwik Stop on my list in case I accidentally cut the quick. If this were to happen, would the puppy feel it at all? I'd really hate to cause him any pain.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Attaching this to an old thread on purpose, so as not to begin another.

The original Groomer's Helper (brand name) is about $139 usd on Amazon. I made one like this for under $10! Works perfectly!
If it's about function, why spend that sum of money for a grooming tool? Expensive is NOT always the best.

C clamp was $3 at Walmart and I used an extra grooming loop that I had laying around..NO MORE SQUIRMING!(y)

Snap1.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts