Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have never had to groom our labs -- a bath and nail trim is all we needed. However, Amber is now thirteen months and needs to have her coat trimmed. I have tried, but she wants to chew the brush and scissors. I want to have her trimmed by someone who knows what a golden should look like. I'm just wondering what would be a typical charge for a bath, nail and coat trim for an 85-pound golden? I know it will differ from one area to another, but I have no idea what to expect.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I do paws, ears, tails...

Reactions: MikaTallulah

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I just do nails (with a dremel), paws, and ears. I'd use the scissors to stab anyone that tried to trim anything else!

Reactions: fuzzbuzz

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
You shouldn't have to trim anything on goldens...
I have the groomer cut off most of Flora's pants and trim up her tail because the fur there is like cotton and it collects crap sooo easily. I know most golden owners, particularly breeders and showers, shake their head at the thought of cutting their dog's pants off, but I like the look of a tidy little butt on my pup. ;)

Flora's groomer charges $50. I tip them $10, so it totals to $60 a groom. They do a lovely job on her. They're the only groomer out of three groomers I've tried that haven't butchered Flora.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I think the price will depend on how well your dog is groomed in the first place. If a groomer has to deal with mats it will be more. Maybe $40-50 average?

I trim the feet and nails for the most part. Break out the thinning shears when needed, not very often, I like 'em fluffy even though they drag half the forest back home with them.

Invest in the tools and try it yourself, the hair grows back ;) Saves a ton of money over a lifetime too. Fiona just had her first bath of 2012. She smelled like a swamp thing after playing in the mud today. Probably take me a good 20 minutes or more tomorrow to comb her out, she has a very full coat.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
I wish I had a dog who got up looking perfect in the morning and went to bed the same way, but mine is a bit more like me, needs a good brush and a trim now and again. Max's butt fluff is unruly, if I don't take him to the groomer, he gets so matted that it has to be practically shaved off. It's much easier on both of us for me to not fight with him to get a brush or comb through that mess, I can keep it neat once the groomer fixes it, but he still needs it trimmed up every few months. And his feet look like hobbit feet if I don't take him in!

My groomer does bath, trim, nails, the whole deal, he comes out looking gorgeous, and she charges $35.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I bath, clean ears, trim nails, trim paws, ears and tail all by myself. It does take awhile, but I enjoy it! Oh, and my dogs brush their teeth every night before bed. They won't go to bed without doing so.

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
we haven't taken moose to the groomers.. but we do his nails and ears ourselves. we brush him after baths.. but he still manges to look like he had the worse bedhead lol. his "pants" (i find that so funny since i found out they were called that) are just.. a lost cause lol we have brushed and blow dryed them and they still like crazy! lol but should i trim the fur between his paws? i always wondered that

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Amber's pants and tail need some trimming, I think. She is getting better about letting me brush her. [Lucy would sit still all day if I kept brushing her.] Amber gets mats under her ears, which I manage to trim out with thinning shears when my granddaughter is here to hold her still. Thanks for the charges information.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
we haven't taken moose to the groomers.. but we do his nails and ears ourselves. we brush him after baths.. but he still manges to look like he had the worse bedhead lol. his "pants" (i find that so funny since i found out they were called that) are just.. a lost cause lol we have brushed and blow dryed them and they still like crazy! lol but should i trim the fur between his paws? i always wondered that
My groomer trims the fur between Max's paws. Otherwise he gets hobbit feet.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,722 Posts
Reactions: laprincessa

·
Banned
616 Posts
Potomac Valley Golden Retriever Club - Grooming A Golden's Ears

Following this and being careful pretty much anyone can get a nice cleaner look, without going to the groomers. It seems like the problems the OP was having was more related to training. Its important even if you pay someone, to train your dog first. A groomer isn't going to want to work on poorly behaved dog. Its also beneficial to your dog, so she grows to enjoy grooming, instead of fear it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts