Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Sandra. I just lost my golden Max to cancer May 1 2019. I’m having a hard time getting through the loss of him. He followed me everywhere. He slept with either my son or I. Toward the end I slept where it was easier for him to get to. We had adopted him from a local shelter over 5 years ago after our other sweet golden Arwen passed. We chose to adopt in memory of her and I became attached quick. He fit in like he belonged here from the start. I have a husky that we’ve had since before Arwen passed, he mourned for her so bad that when we adopted Max he was ecstatic to have a new friend. Alone again my husky is trying to take over as the golden of the house but we all are lost without our big clumsy boy Max. There’s a hole in our house. My heart aches for him everyday.

·
Ann
385 Posts
So, sorry for your loss. Nothing prepares us for this moment. I, too, lost beloved Goldens through cancer. It’s such a sad thing to come home and not have that friendly face greeting you at the door. The house seems so quiet without him. Let the knowledge of the love and care you gave him and the love and devotion he gave you help to ease your pain.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,214 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I'm very sorry for your loss of Max, it's a very profound loss when you lose a pet that is such a part of your life. The journey to find peace and for your heart to heal is a long one. The grieving process is different for everyone, take the time you need to grieve and take each day one at a time.

Every family member grieves the loss even our other pets as you mentioned your Husky was missing Arwen.

You may find posting a tribute to Max helpful. If/when you feel up to it, if you want to tell us about Max and share pictures of him, we'd love to hear about him.

Godspeed Max

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss of Max. People on the forum certainly understand your grief. You sound like you may be like me--not really happy without a Golden Retriever in your life. Hugs to you and your husky.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So sorry for you. Went through this a year ago and it is still raw. There is no way to avoid the grief. It is almost a privilege though to experience it because it is evidence of how truly you loved Max.

It never goes away, but it softens in time.

·
Registered
637 Posts
This pain will never go away but will convert itself into something else. Sth else even more beautiful. What you loved about Max or what we love about anyone in our lives are not the pet, not the man, not the woman, not the friend but the "one " we are becoming with that specific being. We all have our angels and demons. Real love is when someone / or sth makes you become the best version of yourself. Our pets are tool for that. They prove us that we can be that loving, that caring with an angel like being. Are we so nice with everyone around us? Can we be? No way. At least I am not. Therefore, not denying the pain but embracing it will let you go through this period with more ease.I did, and lived an awful 10 months. Denying it , or ignoring it is refusing the beauty of your soul. Beauty always wins.
" it is only without beauty that we cannot continue, for there will be nothing at all to do in the world!" Dostyevsky /Demons
Both you, your husıy and Max have been very lucky beings. And since you have been many time witnessed the heaven, I am sure that you will like to visit there again and find a new companion when you are ready.

·
Registered
437 Posts
May the beautiful film of memories that Max made just for you help carry you over these rough waters that lie ahead. We all share your loss here, a Golden will leave footprints all over your heart. I hope time helps you feel better soon. Long may the mountains ring to the sound of Max's laughter, barks and tail wags..

Godspeed to Max

dlm ny country

·
Registered
507 Posts
My wife of 58 years passed away recently, so it's just me and Amber here now. I left Amber at the groomers for the day last week and came home to an empty house. No one waiting at the door to welcome me. No one to snatch my unattended sandwich at lunch. No one lying at my feet as I sit at the computer. The emptiness was unbearable. Amber is nine years old, and I dread the day when she too leaves me. Although I still grieve for my dear wife, Amber has helped me immensely. I think a new puppy is in order.

·
Ann
385 Posts
My wife of 58 years passed away recently, so it's just me and Amber here now. I left Amber at the groomers for the day last week and came home to an empty house. No one waiting at the door to welcome me. No one to snatch my unattended sandwich at lunch. No one lying at my feet as I sit at the computer. The emptiness was unbearable. Amber is nine years old, and I dread the day when she too leaves me. Although I still grieve for my dear wife, Amber has helped me immensely. I think a new puppy is in order.
I am so sorry for the loss of your wife. Glad you have Amber to help ease the pain. I agree, when you are ready, you should get a puppy. Our 10 year old golden, Lincoln, was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma so we got a puppy, Bear, to not only ease the loss but Lincoln was so well trained we hoped that he would help to train the pup. It was the best decision we ever made and the best part, Lincoln did not have hemangiosarcoma. He had hemangioma, tumors are benign. They are so close and Bear has perked Lincoln up. At 10 months, Bear is completely out of his crate (never had a pup do that so quickly). He’s content to stay wherever Lincoln is. Had I known that two is easier than one, I would have done it a long time ago. Good luck and please keep in touch with us.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts