Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from scenic Fogo Island, located a one-hour ferry ride off the north coast of Newfoundland! My name is Glen, and this is my first post on this fine forum, as my wife and I have just put a deposit down today on our first ever Golden Retriever puppy, and we are SO excited! We already have a sweet little purebred Shih Tzu named Chrissy, who has been an integral part of our lives for the past 12 years, as well as the most stunning purebred German Shepherd you have ever laid eyes on. Perfect in every way imaginable, Sheba is now 2-1/2 years old and is absolutely huge, although she always remains perfectly behaved at all times... and is without a doubt the most huggy-kissey, snuggly, spoiled couch potato ever! We had been planning to get a second German Shepherd, but after much consideration, we decided to get our first ever Golden Retriever, after finding a wonderful breeder here in Newfoundland.

Our puppy was born today, so we will be bringing her home around mid-April. We are so thrilled to be getting another puppy. We know that little Chrissy (the Shih Tzu) won't be with us too much longer, as her health is now in decline, and we wanted to ensure that we would have a playmate for Sheba after she is gone. We're feeling pretty confident that we will manage just fine raising/training her through the puppy stage, as we did a really great job with Sheba... and German Shepherds are not exactly known as the easiest breed to train! (I think it helped that because I am retired I'm always home with our dogs) But of course we would be very appreciative of any pointers/suggestions you can all throw our way regarding the raising and training of a Golden Retriever puppy!

I will be posting much more in the coming weeks, especially once we have brought our little girl home. I'm an avid photographer, so hopefully I won't bore everyone to tears from posting lots of puppy pics! More later!

Glen

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new baby. I will look forward to your pictures. We probably need to see the stunning and nearly perfect Sheba now.?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oops, I discovered this "Member Introductions" thread after the fact!... I just joined this forum last night and made a short introduction elsewhere, THEN found this thread, so I will take a quick moment to tell you a bit about myself here. My name is Glen, and my wife and I reside on Fogo Island, a very remote and incredibly scenic island located a one-hour ferry ride off the north coast of Newfoundland, Canada. We have a sweet little 12 year-old Shih Tzu named Chrissy, and a stunningly gorgeous (and truly enormous!) 2-1/2 year-old German Shepherd named Sheba. And just yesterday, the next member of our family was born... yup, an adorable little purebred Golden Retriever puppy named Abby!!!! This will be our first experience with this breed, so of course we are hopeful that other forum members will chime in to offer us any pointers/suggestions in raising our little girl.

I was forced into early retirement 15 years ago, after suffering a serious fall in the workplace, which unfortunately has caused permanent damage to my upper spine. I am bedridden much of the time, but I do have approx 4-5 hours each day when I am fairly mobile, so I am still able to exercise and walk our doggies. This means that I am almost always at home with our girls, so they aren't left alone. My wife works at the world-famous, ultra-exclusive Fogo Island Inn near our oceanfront home; has been with the company since it opened back in 2012. I am an avid nature/landscape photographer, a musician, (formally-trained classical pianist) an avid motorcyclist, (yeah, I know... not too shabby for a guy with a permanent spinal injury, right?!) a serious bookworm, a collector of vintage/antique cameras, and both the Missus and I have devoted our lives to helping others less fortunate than ourselves; namely supporting a great many children in Africa who have been orphaned due to the HIV/AIDS pandemic sweeping across the continent. All in all, I do manage to keep quite busy, despite my disability. We have two grown daughters; the eldest resides in St. John's (Newfoundland's capital) with her spouse and son, while our youngest lives right here on Fogo Island, where she is a police officer with the RCMP. (Royal Canadian Mounted Police)

I'm sure that I'll have many questions in the coming weeks, as we get closer to bringing our new puppy home. I hope I won't drive you all crazy by posting too many photos of our new Golden Retriever puppy. For now, here are a couple pics of our Sheba and Chrissy.

Glen

·
Registered
390 Posts
Welcome Glen. Your pups are adorable. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new baby.
Looks like you have had an incredible amount of snow there this winter. Hopefully some will be gone by the time your new little one comes home :)
Jules

·
Super Moderator
1,555 Posts
What fabulous dogs! Looking forward to your puppy pics!

"world-famous, ultra-exclusive Fogo Island Inn". Hmm... sound like it is worth a trip up from Vermont to see this landmark.

·
Super Moderator
1,555 Posts
Glen - Merged your two threads into one. WIll make it easier for you to keep track and for us to look at your new bundle of joy!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome Glen. Your pups are adorable. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new baby.
Looks like you have had an incredible amount of snow there this winter. Hopefully some will be gone by the time your new little one comes home :)
Jules
Thanks JulesAK! Yes, we certainly do get our share of the white stuff in our neck of the woods! Thank goodness summers are gorgeous at least!

Glen

·
Registered
390 Posts
Wow! That is amazing! Thanks for sharing those pictures :) I love snow and Maggie (my Golden) does also. We just finished up playing outside. She is tired now!

Jules

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow! That is amazing! Thanks for sharing those pictures :) I love snow and Maggie (my Golden) does also. We just finished up playing outside. She is tired now!
Jules
Oh my goodness, Maggie is beautiful! Just so you know, it doesn't always look like the North Pole around here... this is our view during the summer months, as seen from the shoreline of our oceanfront home.

Glen

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Welcome, Glen! Sheba is absolutely beautiful and Chrissy is so cute! It's so nice that you are adding a Golden Retriever to the mix because I can promise you she will enjoy being ocean front so much.

I just recently got my second Golden puppy. Funny thing -- before this one (Logan), I had Luke. When I first got Luke I was planning on getting a German Shepherd. My husband steered me towards a Golden. My dog before and during Luke was Nicky (a Shih Tzu!) Your photos made me smile.

Here's my new addition (Logan) -- he's eleven weeks old and so sweet. I also have Abby, a Cavalier King Charles (she's four.)

I look forward to seeing your new pup!

·
Super Moderator
3,695 Posts
Hi Glen and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your soon to be new addition! Can't wait for pictures. Your other dogs are beautiful. Sheba is so regal looking! We live in beautiful B.C. I have visiting Newfoundland on my bucket list:)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Fabulous duo & fabulous pictures.Well,they will soon be a trio.By the way,would adore a couple of pictures belonging to your vintage & your camera collection.I am sure we will also enjoy many beautiful pictures taken by manuel cameras here.There are sooo few photographers left(especially in fashion) who shoot via manuel ones.Nothing can replace them.Bienvenue ???

1 - 20 of 31 Posts