Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some opinions on the dog chews called Greenies. I do not give raw hide or any thing like that because my dogs will try to swallow it as soon as they get it wet. Are Greenies safer? Karen

·
Registered
34 Posts
twogoldens324 said:
What are some opinions on the dog chews called Greenies. I do not give raw hide or any thing like that because my dogs will try to swallow it as soon as they get it wet. Are Greenies safer? Karen
Tara does the same thing...swallows them whole as soon as they get soggy :doh:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Where do you get these "Greenies"?

·
Old Guy
3,258 Posts
You can get "Greenies" and 'greenies look-alikes' at most pet stores and in just about all pet supply catalogs.

As far as rawhides are concerned... you gotta give them something hard to chew on to properly 'set' their molars... and its gotta be something they will chew on for long periods of time. Greenies go way too fast to be of much use, as well as pigs ears and the like. We found chew hooves to be the best alternative to rawhide, EXCEPT they can stain carpets and furniture and they smell like... well, let's just say some people (my wife) find the odor offensive and others (like me) actually like it, in fact sometimes it will make me a little hungry... but just remember your dog's breath will smell like hoof for hours after gnawing on one. Chew hooves do last a long time but eventually do get whittled down and, like rawhides and marrow bones, should then be taken away and disposed of. We have also used rawhide chews but we buy the biggest ones that can still fit in his mouth comfortably and never let him take it outside and it gets thrown away the moment it gets wet or he chews off a little piece. He also gets marrow bones to chew on until too many little chunks start coming off then its thrown out.

Today, Sidney is almost 14months old and we no longer give him rawhides or hooves... between sticks and tennis balls, he has all he can chew on... but from puppy-hood to until his last molars are finally full 'set' (maybe about a year of age), your Golden will need something hard to chew on and if you don't want that to be the leg of your coffee table or your lava rock mulch then you got few other choices. (BTW, soft rubber toys, fleece toys, etc. just don't 'get it'... you get it?)

Wow, did I go way off-topic or what?

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Both of our dogs loves them. Especially Kia, she finds them delicious.
This is the picture of greenie shape she loves the most:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I give my dogs 1 - 2 greenies a week. They are quite expensive, compared to other chews, but they really work. My 7 year old lab has the most beautiful teeth, pearl white. The vet comments on them all the time. I never brush their teeth, so I think it's the greenies.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can buy Greenies off Ebay in "bulk" quantities so they are cheaper. They are the same thing, packaged in the same package you buy at the store and all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone had the problem of diarrhea after dogs chew on the green dental bones? I think I have narrowed it down to the greenies he eats - - but wonder if it's just my dog with this problem.

I couldn't deal with the diarrhea so I stopped giving him his 'greenies' every other day and now....I can't stand the doggie breath!! It's so yucky!!

I wonder if anyone has come across this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I only give our dog greenies as a treat once a week with no problems.
As far as the breath problem, Merrick makes a little mint breath treat.
There is also dental care liquid in mint flavor. Just add a few drips to their water. Good luck.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Maggie loves greenies...I have always bought the large ones...since i was afraid she would try and swallow the end of it whole....

·
Reyna 1997 to 2004
2,720 Posts
Quite the opposite of the diarrhea. They constipate our dogs, but they love them!

·
Registered
117 Posts
We Gave Our 8 Year Old Greenies That Looked Like A Huge Peanut And He Loved Them (r.i.p. Rocky)- My Son Brought Home Some Really Little Ones For The 9 Week Old Pup- Is That Too Young To Give Them Greenies? Heads Up- The Vet Said Rawhide Is Bad For The Dogs. We'll Have To Find An Alternative.

·
Registered
117 Posts
:doh: We Gave Our 8 Year Old Greenies That Looked Like A Huge Peanut And He Loved Them (r.i.p. Rocky)- My Son Brought Home Some Really Little Ones For The 9 Week Old Pup- Is That Too Young To Give Them Greenies? Heads Up- The Vet Said Rawhide Is Bad For The Dogs. We'll Have To Find An Alternative.

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
I've never seen Greenies....or at least I don't think so.....we'll have to look for them next time out....

Rick

·
Registered
227 Posts
They had an online offer where you could try them for free, so I ordered one, it never arrived. THEN they spammed my email, not to mention asking me how I liked the greenie. I wrote back that I'd never received it, (still haven't) and they continued to send me email advertisements wihtout sending the greenie, happened to about 3 of my friends, also. I'm boycotting greenies now, HA! Silly but true.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I have three dogs currently, and have had a total of four. My experiences are as follows:
Each of my three goldens enabled my vet to pay his mortgage payment each month due to the recurring bloody diarhea that each consistently suffered from after the dreaded rawhide bone...regardless of type!

Greenies are OK; however, I have heard of some tales of choking, tho.

I use those bones that have been cleaned and sterilized. I order them on line. They come in two sizes. Absolutlely NO problems with them!

;-)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.