Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some research on dog treat recipes...It winds up to be cheaper and healthier to make your own (which I'm sure most people know). Just made these and Bentley is going CRAZY for them!! So easy and apparently, so delicious! BTW I didn't use rolled oats...just added extra 1/2 cup of flour and used honey instead of syrup.
Ingredients

• 1 egg
  • 1 large banana, mashed
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter
  • 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 egg white, lightly beaten, for brushing (optional)
Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Beat together the egg, banana, peanut butter, and maple syrup until well combined. Mix in the flour and oats and stir until combined.
  3. Dump onto a floured work surface and roll to 1/4 inch thick. Cut out with cookie cutter of your choice. Place on baking sheet (they don't spread so you can place them pretty close together). Brush tops with egg whites. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crunchy.
  4. Store tightly covered.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks! I think I am going to try making these. Seems like something my puppy would LOVE. She goes crazy for bananas :D

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
I'm going to try these too and thank you for the recipe. Mine love home baked treats, but time prohibits. Hopefully they will freeze well. Will let you know.

·
Missing my Boys...
3,980 Posts
I'm going to try these too and thank you for the recipe. Mine love home baked treats, but time prohibits. Hopefully they will freeze well. Will let you know.

I have been making treats for my dogs for years and always freeze or refrigerate, because there are no preservatives in them. It is fun to bake special treats, some smell so good when baking!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I made some and Bailey LOVES them. Thanks for the great recipe! I'm putting these in a ziplock storage bag in the fridge. :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha Kdmarsh...I tasted them!!! No sugar so they're not that good...kind of chalky :) Bentley likes them...thats all that matters.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
i have made treats with a similar recipe for my dogs for nearly 4 years now :D and both Saya and Yuki love them. i dont add honey or maple syrup =/ i do add bananas or grated carrot. sometimes i add a little parsley/mint. i often make peanut butter at home specifically for my pets as i dont like giving them the peanut butter bought from stores.

my mom has hypertension and diabetes...>.> she kinda "steals" my dog's treats!! lol

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
I use baby food - two four ounce jars, two eggs mixed together, then mix in 2 1/2 cups of flour (I use wheat flour but I imagine you could substitute white flour or oats)
Roll into balls, bake at 350 for 50 minutes, then I freeze them.
Max loves them, I use any flavor baby food that looks good - being careful about ingredients, of course

1 - 10 of 10 Posts