Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Maegan
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Top 20 for this year's gala was announced this morning. Congratulations to all invited!

I was wondering though, how do they select the Top 20? Because the 20 announced on the GRCA Facebook page this morning doesn't match the GCH rankings on the AKC website for 2017 or 2018. Is it July 1 to July 1 or something? Is it based on something other than GCH points?

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
How do you find the AKC rankings?

I'm also interested in know how dogs are selected as top 20. I thought it was based on accumulated points but idk.

·
Maegan
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you just google "AKC Grand Champion Points" this page will come up: https://www.apps.akc.org/apps/grand_championship/index.cfm?type=gc&section=gcp&sso=rel

You can pick the breed and the year, or lifetime. Of course, really old dogs won't show up because the GCH system hasn't been around that long. I thought it was based on points for a calendar year, but neither 2017 or 2018 to date match the list that GRCA announced this morning, so now I have no idea.

I hope one of the others will chime in!

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
So I'm looking at that link and the list side by side and I'm seeing common names:

No. 1 GCHS CH Amica And Blueprint's Golden Road -Check!
No. 2 GCHS CH Hillock's Jack Daniel'S RA JH CA RATN CGC -Check!
No. 3 GCHS CH Summits I Can Cry If I Want To -Check!
No. 4 GCHG CH Rush Hill's See Q'Will To Golden Hills -Check!
No. 5 GCHS CH Bear Valley's Luciano Mi Tesoro RN CGCA TKI - Check!
No. 6 GCHS CH Flying Nico De Himmelstein - Check!
GCHG CH Scion Special Addition -Check!
No. 8 GCHS CH Futura Lime Me Entertain You -Check!
No. 9 GCHB CH Amica & Blueprint Take 'Em By Storm DJ -Check!
No. 10 GCHB CH Scion Mr. Right For Cbear -Check!
No. 11 GCHG CH Sweetgold Double Down -Check!
No. 12 GCHS CH Tamarack All That Jazz BN RE NA NAJ OAP AJP NFP DS DJ CGC TKN -Check!
GCHS CH Hi-Tide's Island Of Love -Check!
No. 14 GCHB CH Kingslanding's Eastern Heroine -Check!
No. 15 GCHS CH Goodlife's Duff The Magic Dragon -Check!
No. 16 GCH CH Boca Gold's Quarterly Dividends - Check!
No. 17 GCHB CH Tamarack Oughtabe The Mayor -Check!
No. 18 GCH CH Summit's Game Set Match CGC -Check!

---I think these two below don't "count" cause there are 2 tied for place above
No. 19 GCHB CH Scion I'M A Game Changer At Lazy Paws Bitch 83
No. 20 GCHB CH Mountain's Hot Pursuit To Sunbolyn Dog 82

Names on the Top 20 that I didn't find according to the above rankings:
Goldtales Backwoods Barbie (Ranked# 23)
Mcins Broxden Riesling to the Occasion (Ranked #35)
Nocatee Wonderland's Stone in Love (Ranked #21)
Teddybears Rock Rudson (Ranked #22)
Trilogys Under the Kilt (Ranked #28)

·
Maegan
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
---I think these two below don't "count" cause there are 2 tied for place above
No. 19 GCHB CH Scion I'M A Game Changer At Lazy Paws Bitch 83
No. 20 GCHB CH Mountain's Hot Pursuit To Sunbolyn Dog 82

Names on the Top 20 that I didn't find according to the above rankings:
Goldtales Backwoods Barbie (Ranked# 23)
Micins Broxden Riesling to the Occasion (Ranked #35)
Nocatee Wonderland's Stone in Love (Ranked #21)
Teddybears Rock Rudson (Ranked #22)
Trilogys Under the Kilt (Ranked #28)
This is the part where I got confused. I counted 23 total. Riese (#35) was #1 in 2017, and Trilogy's Under the Kilt was #2. So maybe it's different dates? Not calendar years, but something specific to the GRCA?

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
This is the part where I got confused. Riese (#35) was #1 in 2017, and Trilogy's Under the Kilt was #2. So maybe it's different dates? Not calendar years, but something specific to the GRCA?
My friend in conformation says its from the last Invitational to 6/31 but it can include dogs who finished last year. Idk if that means retired from showing or what. But if two of the unlisted dogs were top dogs last year, I can understand why you'd include them here.

·
Maegan
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That makes sense. I was thinking that it had to just be a different set of dates. I will probably get to see several of these dogs in person this weekend at the Houston cluster! I think "finished" means finished their championship and started showing as a special. It would be hard for an unfinished champion to finish and get enough GCH points to make it into the Top 20 during the qualifying period, but it can definitely be done.

I'm about 90% sure that Riese won Best of Breed all 5 days at the Houston cluster last year.

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
I'm super excited! Two of the dogs were at the show I attended in June and I know their owners or breeders so I'm like head of heels excited for them to show at the gala. Way to go!!!

·
Maegan
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got to see Mulan, Kinglanding's Eastern Heroine take BOB yesterday! I'm not sure who got BOS, but I think it was McClain (Rush Hill's See Q'Will to Golden Hills). I will double check after the results are up on the Onofrio website.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts