Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well about a month ago, a gray dot appeared on one of Champ's eyes. Someone had suggested it could be the start of a cataract but aren't those bigger? I have attached a picture...anyone know what is may be?

On that same eye, he also has a small growth on his eyelid which the vet said wasn't necessary to remove.

Attachments

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I think I would get a referrel to an opthomologist from your vet. It could be part of that little thing on his eyelid. Shelby had one on her eyelid like that and it started growing up onto her eye and we had to have it removed. It was also under the eyelid causing it to stick out. You would never know she had part of her eyelid removed twice in the same spot.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I too, would have it checked by your vet. It could be the start of a cataract, but I would want to be assured that is what it is. How old is Champ now, did you say in one of your posts, that he is 7?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too, would have it checked by your vet. It could be the start of a cataract, but I would want to be assured that is what it is. How old is Champ now, did you say in one of your posts, that he is 7?
Yes, he is 7.

Thanks for the posts so far.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
It could be a little chunk of cholesterol in his cornea. Selka has it and as long as it doesn't irritate his cornea or get bigger the vet has left it alone. Selka's has been fine for years.
Gunner also has cholesterol in his corneas , just not in pieces but both of their blood cholesterol levels and triglicerides are low.
I would have the vet check it out but don't think it's an emergency.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I would get the growth removed, before he gets too old for surgery and quick if it starts to grow at all. Bender had a few, we had them removed but the vet went too conservative on the one and it ended up growing back in. I won't put her under now but it does require a bit of extra work and it's icky looking (if they were to remove it now she'd have a disfigured eyelid, so removing it for cosmetic reasons isn't a factor, plus she's over 12 and didn't do well with the last surgery).

Lana

1 - 7 of 7 Posts