Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
We miss you Roo Roo!
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bentley loves his ball soooo much, he goes to the top of the stairs, gives it a nudge, then watches it roll down. He goes and gets it, comes back up and does it again! Usually 4 or 5 times in a row, then takes a break. He's so funny! I loooooove him!:heartbeat

What games do your dogs invent?

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
In the winter Vendetta ( my pit bull) love to take her ball and bury it in the snow/sand then looks around for then starts digging like crazy. When she comes up with it she acts like she doesnt know how itgot there. She wil wait until no one is watching and she will do it all over again.

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Bentley loves his ball soooo much, he goes to the top of the stairs, gives it a nudge, then watches it roll down. He goes and gets it, comes back up and does it again! Usually 4 or 5 times in a row, then takes a break. He's so funny! I loooooove him!:heartbeat

What games do your dogs invent?
My Golden that I had growing up did this exact thing. He also loved when we tossed it back up for him.

My current dog does a version of it - that she started on her own, no help from me. If we're doing a hike through the woods and she has a ball with her, if we get to an incline, she'll stand at the top and let the ball roll down and then run and get it at the bottom.

She also invented the way we play ball. We were at the park one day, years ago, playing ball with the Chuck It. She found a second ball, and so I threw one, and went to pick up the second one. As she came running towards me and noticed I had another ball already, she dropped her ball as she ran past me and kept running at full speed, so I threw the ball for her in that direction. And she did the same thing... came running back towards me with the ball... dropped it just as she got to me (while running full speed) and continued running while I threw the ball again. It means she runs almost non-stop, full lengths of a soccer field. I just stand there in the middle with the Chuck-It! She used to be able to do it for an hour. Now I make her take breaks, and after 20 minutes or so, she's done!

·
We miss you Roo Roo!
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sweet girl: Oh my gosh! That's power exercise! I wish I had an ounce of her energy! She's incredible!

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Honey loves to chase her ball (inside because of the terrible ice here) but she lays down with it between her front feet. Then she will nudge it towards me so I can throw it again! Makes me laugh every time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Charlie does the same thing but only he pushes the ball under the couch to a point where he can't reach it. Then he'll growl at it, stare at me (will you get my ball?) and bark. So he gets all excited when I get the flashlight and yardstick, retrieve the ball and he does it again. 3 or 4 rounds of this and the ball goes outside.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
A bit off topic but still evolves their love of balls...my bridge girl Sammie LOVED tennis balls. I'd take her out on hikes in the woods or along the river and out of no where she'd crawl out of the brush with a tennis ball in her mouth..where it came from I have no idea but she was so delighted with herself.

Just before the time came for her journey to the bridge, she could barely walk, I took her for a short slow walk around my cabin. It was winter with quite a bit of snow on the ground. I'd walk and wait for her to catch up...when I turned around to see how she was doing here she was with a tennis ball in her mouth, tail wagging and completely delighted with herself. She was in so much pain but her choice was to ignore the pain and try and play with the ball. I'll never forget that moment - they're magical dogs our Goldens!

Pete

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
So very clever! :)

Tracer - not so clever!
He hides behind the shower curtain...and I say "where arrreeee you...Tracer????" and touch him through the shower curtain while he wiggles and tries to find my hands....(shower curtain still over his head...)

Bless his heart....good thing he is handsome... ;)

·
We miss you Roo Roo!
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Bentley does the ball under the couch game as well. I feel like I am the retriever!:scratchch I feel so guilty when I finally take the ball away. He'll do it all evening if I don't!

I hope everyone here never lets a day go buy that they don't appreciate their Golden. I spent a long time on this forum, reading and reading. I was so envious of everyone talking about their dogs. We lost our Ruby 3 years ago, and now the timing is right, we have Bentley and appreciate him every day. I wish all dogs (and people) could be so lucky.

Thank you everyone for sharing your funny stories.:wavey:

·
Registered
167 Posts
When I lost my Tucker last year it was unexpected. It was so hard because I was out of town for the weekend and when I came home Monday I knew right away he wasn't himself. I wished so badly that I could go back and have had those last few days with him.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I had to laugh at CharliedogsDad post. My 4.5 year old Golden "invented" a similar game as a puppy. He would push a ball under the TV cabinet and then try and dig under it to get to the ball. When it was obvious he couldn't reach it he would start whining until I got it for him. The he would start all over again. Yeh, I know he had me trained :)). Even now, if he's bored he will try it a couple of times.

The other game he had was to roll a ball down a flight of steps and then get it and then do it over a number of times. If he wanted attention and play with me, he would whine until I came over and would look down the flight of steps and then me many times until I got it. Then he would repeat. I named it the "push" game so if I said "push" he would nose the ball so it rolled down the steps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts