Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious question . . .

In my search for a potential breeder, I've come across a planned litter between a granddaughter and grandfather. I am new to going through dog pedigrees and health clearances, but I have a good understanding of genetics.
So my question is . . . in the dog breeding world, is this a typical practice?

Thanks!
Sarah

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
it is to some extent. That is a Brackett type breeding, though others have renamed it since the 19oo's, it still is a Brackett breeding thought to cement common traits. Of course, you want all behind him to be stellar or it is just stupid to do that kind of breeding!
edit: https://breedingbetterdogs.com/article/brackets-formula

·
the party's crashing us
4,173 Posts
It is not terribly common in modern day GOOD golden breedings....
It was VERY common back in the day -- and may have gotten us to where we are with ingrained health issues -- but many breeds still do this all the time and evidently have little fallout from it??? Not so in goldens...

·
Registered
16,393 Posts
AKC judge Pat Trotter, who breeds the esteemed Vin Melca Elkhounds, has a few excellent books and articles about the merits of close breedings like that ( and the risks). Good things are, in the hands of an experienced breeder who has done them before and knows the recessive genes, a very predictable uniform litter expressing the style, traits, health, and temperament of that dog family. I prefer a tighter breeding to a more outcrossed one.

·
Super Moderator
3,543 Posts
smcaputo

If you do have a good understanding of genetics (BS in Bio minimum, IMO) then you are well able to form an educated opinion. I would go with that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts