Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2-year old GR, Gracie, let out a big yelp this morning while playing ball. She was propped up on her front legs after that. I ran over to her and she got up but was unable to put any weight on her left rear leg. I'm of course very fearful of hip dysplasia but I no longer think that's the issue. I'm of course going to take Gracie to the vet if her condition doesn't improve by this afternoon. She doesn't seem to be in any pain but can't put her paw on the ground as if her leg won't extend fully. After talking to a fellow GR owner she had a dog that hurt her ACL and Gracie's symptoms sounding exactly like what she went through. I can grab Gracie's whole leg and paw and she doesn't seem to be bothered by it. Seems like dysplasia would cause pain and Gracie wouldn't be able to get around as well as she is. She's just acting like she's 3-legged. Any guesses?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is she putting any weight on it at all?
None at all. It's like her leg won't extend. I can have her lay down and try to pull it (gently of course) but it won't. She doesn't seem to be in pain when I do it.

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
Quite possibly acl. Skyler had done the same thing. Obviously a trip to the vet is in order and if possible do not let her try and jump up at all at this time. Go ahead and carry her and place her in the car and out. She can walk getting to and from the car and into the vets but limit her desire to jump. Hopefully just a pull but have her checked.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a pull?

Quite possibly acl. Skyler had done the same thing. Obviously a trip to the vet is in order and if possible do not let her try and jump up at all at this time. Go ahead and carry her and place her in the car and out. She can walk getting to and from the car and into the vets but limit her desire to jump. Hopefully just a pull but have her checked.
Hopefully it's a "pull"? Meaning a pulled muscle? Is this common in dogs like it is with people? It was very cold this morning so that actually makes sense. Would that involve just rest?

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
Hopefully it's a "pull"? Meaning a pulled muscle? Is this common in dogs like it is with people? It was very cold this morning so that actually makes sense. Would that involve just rest?
More like strained acl and not torn. If strained rest will do, although you'll have to watch her jumping up onto things. The jumping down doesn't stress it as much since the front legs act as a shock absorber. I probably wouldn't try and straighten her leg out or flex it any until you've had a chance to see a vet. ACL injury is somewhat common in medium to large breed dogs and usually occurs when sudden change in direction while running or possibly stepping in a ground depression while running. Skyler did his chasing a squirrel.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More like strained acl and not torn. If strained rest will do, although you'll have to watch her jumping up onto things. The jumping down doesn't stress it as much since the front legs act as a shock absorber. I probably wouldn't try and straighten her leg out or flex it any until you've had a chance to see a vet. ACL injury is somewhat common in medium to large breed dogs and usually occurs when sudden change in direction while running or possibly stepping in a ground depression while running. Skyler did his chasing a squirrel.
Gracie was getting a ball at full speed in a grassy field. May have stepped in a depression or hurt herself reaching for the ball or stopping suddenly to turn back after she got it...

·
Coley - my cuddle bug
2,336 Posts
Definately sounds like ACL to me. Duke completely ruptured his prior to surgery but still at some point after original injury was able to put a "little" weight on it - hopping while running, etc.

Gosh, I'm sorry. I hope it's not, but that's what it sounds like to me.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Sounds like ACL to me...I would get her into the Vet asap - it is very painful, and they are very stoic. My lab did it twice the first time she was imitating Bambi on the patio after a dusting of snow.

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
Gracie was getting a ball at full speed in a grassy field. May have stepped in a depression or hurt herself reaching for the ball or stopping suddenly to turn back after she got it...
A vet visit will reveal what IF anything was torn. Paws crossed for you and Gracie that it will be good news. Hopefully you'll be able to get her in today.

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
It is a surgical procedure to mend and re-attach. Usually they will want to keep her for at least a day and a night to monitor. Once home re-hab will consist of small walks to start until weight bearing motion is achieved. Then longer walks to strengthen. You can also ask about hydro-theapy if you have any facilities around you. Water therapy does decrease the re-hab time and helps strengthen in a less contusion oriented environment. After all rehab is done things should be just fine so please don't worry. Bad news is that it is re-hab. Good news is you get to spend a lot of time with your sweet girl on walks.

·
and now Mollie's mom too
1,268 Posts
My lab tore one acl at age 10, slipped on the wet grass and then the other at age 12. Had both operated on and had teflon tendon replacements done by my vet. Sandy lived to be 17. So hopefully Gracie just stretched her acl and with rest it will tighten up but if not, it can certainly be repaired.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I hope it is just strained and not torn acl. Hugs to Gracie.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope it is just strained and not torn acl. Hugs to Gracie.
If it's just a strain would the symptoms be the same at this early time? I assume a strain would get better on it's own with rest?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If Gracie does require ACL surgery, what should I expect to pay? Of course I'll pay whatever they ask, just an issue these days...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone. Gracie hasn't improved so I've got a vet appointment 1st thing in the morning...

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Yeah, that sounds like a torn or ruptured ACL. I've been through 2 of them myself, both times it went exactly as you describe.

It's my opinion that surgery is the best option with this type of injury because it minimizes arthrities which is always a concern with joint injuries.

Good you're taking her in right away. ACL surgery in my area runs between $800-$1,200 depending on the vet. And then there's a different type of surgery (TPLO I think?) that's quite a bit more expensive.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. You'll find lots of support here, quite a few of us have been through it ... and live to tell ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts