Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

**special thanks to Traz for the fancy announcement graphics and my holiday sig

Gracie asked for a sister for Christmas. Since this is her very first Christmas, it was difficult to deny her request. Last Sunday afternoon we headed to our breeder to pick up Gracie's sister Ruby.

I love visiting our breeder. Jen always let's her pack answer the door and one is never greeted by less than 5 crazy goldens. Sunday was no different. We had to push our way into the house and no sooner had we got the door closed, I found 2 paws on my chest and a face full of slobber. "Meet Ruby", Jen said. Ruby had me at hello. As I wiped the doggy drool from my face and opened my eyes I was treated to a view of dark 16 month old golden whose tail was wagging her entire body.

Gracie did a full perimeter check of the house to see what trouble she could find. She found it. The cutest 6 month old golden boy, Fred...they fell in love and played the whole 2 hours we were there. As we were walking out the door Gracie glanced back at Fred as if to say "c'mon Fred, we are going home."

The DW (Laurie) took Gracie and put her in the truck. As I lifted Ruby in, Gracie looked at my wife pondering what I was doing with the WRONG dog.

Laurie said that's your new sister Ruby.

Gracie looked at Laurie, "But I've changed my mind. I want a little brother. Take HER back and get my brother Fred"

"I'm sorry but you can't have Fred honey."

With a sigh of disappointment Gracie looked out the window...."If I look out the window, maybe she'll disappear. Is she gone yet? How about now?"

She glanced back and the look was priceless, "Crap she's still here"

Laurie and I had been filled with excitement for over week. We were anxiously awaiting the moment we'd get home and Gracie and Ruby would break into a game of golden play. We got home and the 2 girls would not even look at each other. After an hour and no improvement I decided to play with both of them together. Ruby is a lover girl and wanted all of the human attention. She kept pushing Gracie out of the play session. After 3 or 4 attempts to push Gracie away, Gracie came unglued and the fur started flying. It lasted about 10 seconds and sounded much worse than it really was. The only damage was a slobbery ear on Ruby.

Monday when I came home from work, I thought I would try the same stupid idea of playing with them together. Apparently not a real good idea. After a few minutes of getting them wound up Ruby saw the chance for a payback. She lit into Gracie and once again the fur was flying. This time both dogs ran into a table and sent stuff flying everywhere. I don't think it lasted longer than a few seconds. Then the funniest thing happened. Gracie had just got whooped and now for the first time she started to take an interest in Ruby. Since then she has been following Ruby everywhere. Ruby is still not showing a lot of interest. She gives Gracie occasional sniffs.

There has been 4 or 5 instances where they have played tug of war with a toy or a t-shirt that Ruby manages to steal from somewhere. We had 6" of snow on Thursday and they did both have a ball. They took turns chasing each other around the yard. But once back in the house Ruby still pays little attention to Gracie. Hopefully that will change over the next couple of weeks.

With the humans Ruby is a lover. I think she is half cat. She loves to rub against us and I swear if she could crawl inside of us she would. She breaks the rule that golden girls are "love me" dogs.

Welcome Home Ruby!!

Ruby photos:

·
now Mom to Kiwi
2,785 Posts
Congrats -- Ruby is a beautiful girl. I'm sure in no time the two girls will be the best of friends.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Congratulations! She is beautiful...her profile is beautiful as well as her coat.

Maybe Fred can visit. : )

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Congratulations. Ruby is a real looker. I'm sure they will become best buddies in time. It took Oakly and Caue a while before they became close.

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
Ruby is gorgeous. As I was reading your post I thought Ruby was Gracie's littermate but after seeing the pictures I guess you mean they are sisters now. Anyway, they are both lovely.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
What a beautiful girl Ruby is!!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Ruby is gorgeous and I think in no time they will be the best of friends.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Congratulations ! I hope Gracie learns to share and teach her new sister not to swallow things !

I would comment at how pretty she is.....but I don't see her photo. Am I missing something ?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all so much for the kind words.

Congratulations ! I hope Gracie learns to share and teach her new sister not to swallow things !

I would comment at how pretty she is.....but I don't see her photo. Am I missing something ?
Ha Ha Patrick....I think Ruby will have to teach Gracie not to eat everything. If we give Gracie a piece of cardboard, she will chew off one piece at a time, chew it like bubble gum for a while and then of course, eat it. We had several coke boxes laying around that Gracie would work on from time to time. 2 or 3 coke boxes would last Gracie a lifetime....but they are gone now. Ruby will loves to shred cardboard and leave the pieces all over the floor. She won't stop until we have 2" square pieces of cardboard everywhere. Our living room now often looks like a box explosion occurred.

We don't have to worry about Ruby eating bad things....Gracie on the other hand still eats everything.:doh:

I can see the photos. If you still can't see them I can send them in a PM. Let me know.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I signed into the forum using internet explorer instead of firefox and I can see them now. I dont know why firefox blocked the photos.

She is beautiful ! I love her coat and she has a great color on her. I dont think she will be as red as Rusty but she wont be too far from him. Rusty was a great dog if you had to get two follow him. :) You are so smart getting her at this age. You dont have to deal with the puppy bites. I wish I could have figured that out.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Ruby welcomes your new Ruby. She is a beautiful Golden Gal!

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Ruby is beautiful, she has very intense eyes. I can't wait to hear more about her, and see more pictures as your girls become the best friends we all know they will be one day!!!

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
She is beautiful! Congrats on your new addition.

Both of your girls are gorgeous :) You need to post more pictures of Gracie (and now Ruby, too!) - I don't think I've seen recent pics of her before she grew up into the beautie that she is now!

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
Just give it a little while and don't push them together. Let them come to each other. My girls became close when we left them (sort of) alone some. Now, they're attached at the hip, literally Dory's head often uses Lucy's butt for a pillow.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts