2761 - 2780 of 2783 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,227 Posts
Big hugs and a hi from us as well!.

·
Super Moderator
17,227 Posts
Hugs coming across from me and Mr B as well!.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
What a lucky dog to have such a caring and loving owner as you are! I don't know that I have a great deal of wisdom to add to the previous posts but I have had 2 dogs which have been treated for hypothyroidism. The first was coonhound who was also diabetic (and who needed her glucose level checked three times a day-poor baby) and the second dog is my flat coated retriever, Gracie. Having previously had a dog with hypothyroidism I recognized the signs before my vet did (hair loss, lethargy, skin problems and weight gain along with an often runny tummy). Gracie is currently taking Thyrosyn twice a day and the changes since we began the medication have been dramatic. My 11 year old dog now keeps up with my 9 month old golden. Thyrosyn is very similar to the human thyroid drug which I believe is called Levo Thyroxine. Unfortunately the dosage generally given to large dogs such as mine is quite a bit higher than that given to humans and I was unable to purchase it anywhere but my vet. Still it is not terribly expensive. I get 3 months worth of pills for about $25. The pills are not flavored or anything and I simply poke them into a small piece of cheese and drop it into Gracie's bowl at mealtimes. She did not do well on the flavored treat type pills (I forget the name, sorry) and they seemed to cause her to break out in nasty sores (almost like acne). Switching to Thyrosyn did the trick. No more sores and she is doing well. I am certain that with such a loving caring "mom" as you seem to be your baby will eventually get the right meds for her. She is blessed to have you.

·
Registered
730 Posts
You are doing a fantastic job of managing so many conditions for your girl!

Some thoughts about various issues:
Being hypothyroid is miserable. I tell you this from living it myself, so I would consider adding back a thyroid med.

The loose stools could be caused by sensitivity to wheat gluten (in humans this is often caused by celiac disease, which also occurs in some animals). Since you have to move to a low-protein diet for the kidney disease, maybe a food that is based on rice would work? Somewhere I have a recipe for making your own low-protein dog food and I know it's based on rice. I'm sure I can find it if you need it.

Except for the cancer, a lot of what you describe sounds like some form of autoimmune disease. Hypothyroidism and gluten intolerance are both in that category. Probiotics are helpful, so that's a good start.

And you'll hear from a lot of other people who know a lot more about these conditions than I do.

Holding you and your sweetheart in my thoughts and prayers,
Lucy
I agree with everything in this well advised response.

·
Super Moderator
17,227 Posts
I just wanted to stop by and and say hi, I think of you often and hope you are OK x

·
Registered
78 Posts
Can you find a real holistic veterinarian?
Sounds like her immune system has crashed, and follows all these health issues.
Have you tried raw food?
We switched to Steves Raw Food online and in some local pet shop freezers out west usa. The food, organs, veggies and fruits are all ground up, and made into either nuggets or patties. Very easy to feed, and you don't need much as super high nutrition, which means less poop in the yard too.
Keep in the freezer, then each day take out what you need to feed, and put in the fridge to thaw overnight.
Our senior girl poop returned to normal firm when we switched to raw. It made a huge difference in both health and normal firm poop.
Raw food is highly nutritious, as it is not heated, which kills all the healthy enzymes.
The holistic vet said to never feed dry kibble or canned food, as there isn't any nutrition left in the processing, that dry kibble and canned food is like feeding your dog cheap fast food without any nutrition. In the beginning fast food may seem cheaper, but the cost of the vet bills will be more frequent and much higher, not to mention an unhealthy dog.
Without nutrition, the dog's immune system suffers over the years, and numerous health problems start happening.
Learn more at VitalAnimal.com by Dr Falconer
and also
DogsNaturallyMagazine.com

·
Registered
78 Posts
Regarding the swollen foot pads, that can be a symptom of an allergy to puppy vaccines.
Did the vet vaccinate more than one vaccine at a time?
The vaccines are bad news for puppies and dogs too, and many have severe allergies to the vaccines, and or seizures, and or become aggressive towards other dogs. Many Goldens are allergic to vaccines, the most common cause of allergies in Golden Retrievers.
Why did the vet prescribe ACL CCL surgery? She had enough problems without adding an unnecessary surgery. Sounds like this vet is more interested in profit then what is best for your Golden.
There are dog knee braces that are safer, non invasive and heal torn ACL CCL. I learned about dog knee braces and the posh dog knee brace healed my Golden's complete fully torn acl ccl and torn meniscus . Human orthopedic surgeons never get surgery for their own dogs with a torn acl ccl, they buy a dog knee brace, because they know a dog knee brace works without any need for surgery.
It sounds like you need to hire another vet.
Learn about the real history about vaccines and what is really in them. One cannot make a decision without being informed of the real truth.
Your Golden is mostly likely severely allergic to the vaccines which is causing an entire host of health issues.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
To those just finding this thread and offering advice, please read post 2470, which describes Hannah's passing in July of 2014. I'm sure that hubbub appreciates your good intentions, along with those of us who came to love Hannah as our own.

It is hard to read all of a thread that spans more than three years, but this is a love story well worth reading.

·
every moment is a gift
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,777
Thanks for checking in everyone. Posting in this thread and seeing it on the main page is hard. I'm sorry for the extended absence, I've had several things pop up and am working through them as best I can.

·
Super Moderator
17,227 Posts
It's so lovely to see you back, you are often in my thoughts, hugs sent x

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
2761 - 2780 of 2783 Posts