Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys im new here!

my golden retriever is about 5months old (its still a puppy right?)
we found out that she had blood in her stool and it was soft, so we decided to give her deworming tablets (canex brand). That first day she had blood on her stool she was still eating her meals. The next day her stool started to come out with hard bits and some bit of blood still... she still had her usual energy but did not finish her food in her food bowl. we decided to give her banana and bread just so her stomach have some food in it for the night. What could be wrong with her ? should we start being alarmed? thank you and good day

Cheers
Roland

note: we started noticing the blood in her stool when she stole some salmon (boneless and chopped ones) from the kitchen counter.

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The only advise I have would be a visit to a Vet. Maybe someone else will chime in with advise.
I hope your puppy will be ok.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Small amounts of blood (a few drops to a tablespoon's worth) that are bright red indicate irritation down at the end of the GI system. While it's obviously not good, it's not usually the sign of something seriously wrong. If it's bright red (like the blood that comes from a small cut), that means it's coming from somewhere very close to the, um...exit. That's a really normal product of the irritation and straining that come from diarrhea. Even though they're not the signs of something life-threatening on their own, if loose stools and a few drops of red blood persist for more than a day or two, though, I'd definitely get to the vet. Diarrhea can lead to dehydration pretty quickly, and it doesn't take much for a very young or very old dog to dehydrate.

Large amounts of blood or dark red, black, or clotted blood would be reasons to get to the vet. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Go straight there as an emergency visit. Bleeding higher up in the tract is not the sign of straining. It's the sign of things that are potentially very dangerous.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Roland

Get her to the vet or emergency vet IMMEDIATELY. It could be parvo.
Praying for her and you. Are her gums pink or are they white?
Pink is healthly.
This also tells you if she is dehydrated-puppies dehydrate quickly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
her gums are pink and color of the stool is normal blood color, we just saw her new stool right now blood were gone but the stool is really soft altho not completely liquid... what would this mean? :)

thanks again
Roland

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Just guessing she might have eaten something that she had difficult passing, which caused irritation and blood. I would suggest you hold off on giving your puppy deworming tablets until your vet runs tests for parasites and advises you to do so. Not sure exactly what you are feeding your puppy besides what you stated. Unfortunately puppies are known for getting into things and eating things they shouldn't. Watch her closely and get an appointment with the vet. Best wishes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just guessing she might have eaten something that she had difficult passing, which caused irritation and blood. I would suggest you hold off on giving your puppy deworming tablets until your vet runs tests for parasites and advises you to do so. Not sure exactly what you are feeding your puppy besides what you stated. Unfortunately puppies are known for getting into things and eating things they shouldn't. Watch her closely and get an appointment with the vet. Best wishes.
we feed her dog feeds (eukanuba large breed brand) and rice and mix them together... is rice bad for a puppy at this age?

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Rice isn't bad, but you don't need it when you're feeding Euk LBP. It's a complete diet on its own. Rice simply provides some bulk and calories without providing some of the key nutrients a pup needs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
**** i thought she was feeling ok already... she just vomited white stuff... and i just found out that she ate a non toxic blue crayon... we just found out when one of our housemate told us just now. will keep on observing till the morning and see if there is still blood in her stool

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Well, now that you know there's an object that might cause obstruction, you should probably head to the vet. The blood itself isn't something to worry about too much, but since it's been going on for a couple of days, plus the vomiting, plus the crayon, this dog really needs to see a vet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts