Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
In Honor of Daisy
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knows whether it is safe to use Sting Stop (or Ssssting Stop) gel on Golden Retrievers. I use it on myself all the time to effectively sooth itching from mosquito bites, spider bites, and the general itchiness of a healing skin wound. My little puppy has a couple of bites on her tummy, and she would benefit from some sort of itch-reducer, but I don't know if Sting Stop is safe or effective for dogs. Has anyone tried it on their dogs before?

Similarly, does anyone know if it is safe to use over-the-counter antibiotic ointments like Neosporin on dogs?

Anyone with scientific knowledge OR personal experiences, please share.

Many thanks,
Amy
(new Mama to SunnyPuppy)

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I don't know anything about sting stop, I have used Neosporin on ouchies. I don't let the dog lick it, though. Most of the time I use Bacitracin ointment, as some dogs are allergic to one of the ingredients in Neosporin. I've never had a problem with Bacitracin. Having said this, It's best to give your vet a call. They might have other suggestions.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
You could put a little bit of cortisone cream on it, if it is itchy.
I usually clean the area of the bite or sting really well either with rubbing some hydrogen peroxide over it or Vetricin, or mild soap. Aloe vera gel is also very soothing.
Since the pup on the picture seems very young, I would also ask the vet, especially for a possible Benadryl dosage recommendation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts