Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
3 goldens
11,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One year ago today, Feb. 17, 2019, we got a beautiful gem in our house. Not a diamond or ruby or pearl, but Texas Great Pyrenees Rescue girl named Jewel. This most gentle soul has had some very rough spots in the year since we adopted her but she is a survivor. Just 6 days after we got hr, she was attacked by 2 dogs and got some serious injuries. But our wonderful vet healed her wounds. And she has shown not one iota of dog aggression nor far of dogs, which often happens after an attack like this.

Then 4 months ago she had a stroke, a terrifying stork. She would stagger and fall, had to be helped in and out of the house, helped up as her right rear leg was so weak. The corners of her mouth drooped and she drooled constantly and we had to keep rolls of paper towels, tissues, et everywhere to constantly clean her mouth. . Her left eye--which had been injured in the attack months before would almost be covered by her 3rd eyelid most of the times. I had drops to put in her eye several times a day. But she over came. Her leg is still a little weak, but she can now get on the sofa and bed any time she wants to. You can not believe the joy we had the first time we saw her get up on the sofa with no help, found her napping on the bed she had gotten onto with no help. We do still have to help her up into the car, but that is it. She was checked last week and is doing very well. Her eye is almost back to normal and I just have to put in drops once in a while. But her eyeball looks great.

She enjoys going to Tractor Supply and checking out all the bags of food, treats, etc. We have only taken her to the beach once so far and she enjoyed it--was fascinated by all the gulls. She loves to nap on the sofa with me. She also loves to chase feral cats out of our yard. And she loves to dig fox holes under the fire bushes, which are like 15 feet tall.
We have to keep an eye on her toys as there are two she takes outside and leaves--her green truck and her cloth bone.She loves to go roll in the grass after she eats, and of course brings all kinds stuff in on her coat to deposit it on our floor.

I cook her oatmeal for breakfast almost every morning and she loves it. It is flavored with a tad of coconut oil, a tad of honey and some milk. Supper is hr kibble with a little boiled chicken and fresh steamed broccoli added.She also likes teamed asparagus, but I mostly fix the broccoli. Just before bedtime she gts a snack of about 1/4 can of dog food with hr Cosequin tablets crumbled up in it--she does not like to eat them even tho they are suppose to be flavored tablets. Oh, and dessert. We leave a little tad of our dessert on our plate or in our bowl for her. She knows about 10:30, it is DESSERT TIME and keeps a close eye on what I am doing. As soon as I take the little plates or bowls out of the cabinet, she is up and waiting for her few licks. She especially likes ice cream. But she even likes lemon pie.

i crowned her a princess not long after we got her. So she is Princess Jewel, This girl has a been a joy since day one and we love her so much.....and spoil her so much. This is hr life with us--from us with her on day one, Napping with Jerry on her favorite bed to nap on as she can look out the frotn widnow, Easter, eating ice cream on her 10th birthday June 28k 2019, July 4, checking out raw hides at Tractor Supply, at the park, gettign pictures taken for Christmas cards, and napping with me on the sofa.

·
Super Moderator
2,750 Posts
What a wonderful story of hope and recovery. So good of you to uplift us with it!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I love stories like yours!. Lucky humans, lucky dog, perfect.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
What a life she has lived! So very glad she found her forever home with you. Fantastic, real life pictures. They tell the story of true love.❤

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Happy Gotcha Day to the beautiful Princess Jewel!

·
3 goldens
11,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. We are lucky to have such a wonderful girl---who will be 11 on June 28. Our last 4 dogs were all considered seniors--one Pyrenees was 7, another 7 1/2, and Princess Jewel 4 months shy of 10, and golden retriever Sophie at 11 yrs 5 weeks when we adopted her. Seniors need love. We don't have them near long enough, but we can make their golden years good, happy ones.

·
& Romeo's mom
732 Posts
What a gorgeous dog, living her best life! Lovely

·
Registered
17,558 Posts
Precious girl and such lovely photos!.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts