Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi! this is karmas mom, i started a thread over a week ago about what to look for in my thyroid panel results which i now have, i cant read this thing though. the vet called and said lots of good sounding things, said it was fine, she is NOt hypothyroid at ALL. i have a copy here and although
this vet is totally great and right im sure, im curious, with all the thyroid knowledgeable people i found here to share what i have in my hands!
let me at least try....

total thyroxine (tt4): 35
ref range: 15-67
units:nmol/L

total triiodothyronine(TT3): 0.8 L
ref range: (1.0-2.5)
units:nmol/L

free thhyroxine (FT4): 2.9 L
ref range: (4.5-12.0)
units:pmol/L

T4 autoantibody: 3
ref range: (0-20)
%

T3 autoanibody : 1
ref range (0-10)
%

Thyroid stimulating hormone: 8
ref range (0-37)
mU/L

Thyroglobulin autoantibody: 6
ref range: (0-35)
%

feedback would be great. she explained why some of the numbers sound low but that its a good thing but i frankly was so overjoyed at just hearing the basic news that my lay-persons ears did not understand any of the specifics she was talking about, nor will i if the feedback here is too technical.... basically i am hoping for your verification that this looks right and i dont have to worry about hypothyroidism anymore.

happy holidays to those of you who do that stuff!!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I wish I could help! I just had my dog's thyroid test done and I don't understand the results really either ... I am sure the vet is right! I was concerned about my dog's results because her Thyroid is normal but the vet said her T3 and T4 are low and I don't know why.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've just called and left a message at Jean Dodd's office, does those of you who swear by her know if she will look at a faxed report and give opinion to anyone or only her own clients? Does she charge for her time?

·
16,000 Posts
I was just going to suggest that you send them to Dr. Dodd's.

Your dog is in the low nomral range for canines. Low normal in a Golden is low...

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I was just going to suggest that you send them to Dr. Dodd's.

Your dog is in the low nomral range for canines. Low normal in a Golden is low...
I've heard this before, from our family vet regarding Casey. When first diagnosed he was "low normal." Casey has been hypothyroid since age (4??). He's now age 11 1/2. I haven't seen his most recent IDEXX report, he is about to have another one done early January.

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
Those are levels that I would consider supplementation - probably .2mg solxine twice daily...but that's me. What are you seeing with her behaviorally and physically? Are you seeing symptoms? Was this test done on an 8-12 hour fast (prior to blood draw)? Your other option is to retest the whole panel in 30 days and see where her levels are. Make sure to have the blood draw at the same time of day after a suitable fast....

The key with goldens is "normal" (particularly low normal) is rarely "optimal". If you were to look at a golden that was "optimal" you would see levels at the very tippy-top of those ranges.

Erica

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've just called and left a message at Jean Dodd's office, does those of you who swear by her know if she will look at a faxed report and give opinion to anyone or only her own clients? Does she charge for her time?
$30. Download the request form from her website and fax it to her along with your report and credit card number. Use an extra sheet if necessary to give a complete history. She will respond with her analysis in less than 2 days. She and her staff are friendly, responsive and fast! She will respond to whomever you designate. For example, I did not want her contacting my vet because he gets prickly when I seek a second opinion.

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
For example, I did not want her contacting my vet because he gets prickly when I seek a second opinion.
Wow...someone you consult for an opinion gets prickly when you seek a second opinion? I think it's time for you to seek another vet. No one is that good to present themselves as the sole source of information - you wouldn't accept that behavior of your physician - it's no more acceptable from your vet. JMHO of course.
Erica

·
16,000 Posts
Wow...someone you consult for an opinion gets prickly when you seek a second opinion? I think it's time for you to seek another vet. No one is that good to present themselves as the sole source of information - you wouldn't accept that behavior of your physician - it's no more acceptable from your vet. JMHO of course.
Erica
I could not agree more. My old vet (I MISS YOU, AL!!!) and my new vet (Glad to have found you Marianne!!!) both would get second opinions for me in certain situations., and encourage me to seek another if I still had questions. I appreciate the "I don't know but will do whatever I can to find out" more than floundering around without a clue but pretending to know...

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
My Gunner was low normal.I contacted Dr. Dodds, she gave me her opinion for free (I donated to Hemopet) She was wonderful! He had no symptoms, I wanted him tested because my previous golden was hypothyroid and mistreated. Gunner now takes .5 of soloxine twice a day. He will be retested in Jan in case he needs a change in meds.

My vet was very willing to go by Dr. Dodds recommendations. I wouldn't go to a vet who resents a 2nd opinion.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Here is Dr. Dodds email to me, her recommendations, Gunner's levels and her optimum levels. Hope it helps.

Dear Deb: I've outlined the optimal levels for T4 and free below in red -- which means that he tests moderately below these levels for both tests -- and is even at the lower limits of the broad MSU reference ranges for both. the TSH result looks normal, but is discordant -- a relatively common situation in dogs as this test has poor predictability of primary hypothyroidism in dogs [~ 70%] vs humans where it's 95%. See attached.
The free T3 is normal based on the new ranges we've established for this same reagent.
My recomendation is to place him on a 6-8 week trial of thyroxine at 0.1 mg per 12-15 lbs optimum weight twice daily -- given at least an hour before or 3 hours after each meal to ensure complete absorption. Retest levels 4-6 hrs after the am pill when nearing the end of the trial period. Best wishes. Jean
----- Original Message -----
TT4 - 18 nmol/L * * Optimal Levels 30-65
TT3 - 1.0 nmol/L Optimal Levels 1.0-2.5
FT4 - 6 pmol/L Optimal Levels 12-24
FT3 - 3.7 pmol/L Optimal Levels 2-10 [new ranges]
AutoAntibody T4 -13 Optimal Levels < 10
Autoantibody T3 -0 Optimal Levels < 5
TSH - 12 Optimal Levels < 0. 60 discordant
AutoantibodyThyroglobulin - 8 Optimal Levels < 20

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dr Dodds reponded by calling me same day I sent her an email, faxed her the report at 8 am the next morning and at 9am she called me to share her thoughts! Amazing woman, and no charge AND she says NO low thyroid!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts