Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let Levi and Miko out to piddle at 1:30 this morning and soon after Miko can't get back in the house fast enough with Levi following close behind sniffing at his head. Open the door and smell a little skunk smell....then it hits me like burning tires:yuck:. I run Miko to the shower, turn on all the exhaust fans in the house and grab the 3% hydrogen peroxide, Arm and Hammer baking soda, and Dawn dish soap. Washed two times with this, then once with Cowboy Magic and not a trace of skunk on Miko. Still trying to air out the house though. Thankfully Levi didn't get sprayed and didn't rub up against Miko. If you live around skunks make sure you have a bottle of fresh 3% peroxide around. Attach this recipe to it.
1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup Baking Soda
1-2 T dish washing soap
Until you experience it you have no idea how strong a fresh direct hit from a skunk smells:vomit:. You really need to be prepared.

·
Kristy
10,429 Posts
Oh you have made me laugh!!! I can't imagine how quickly you must have been working to make that turn out ok..... what time did you make it to bed? Thankfully, no problem with skunks around my neighborhood. I spent a couple years in Pennsylvania, so I am familiar with the horror you must have felt :)

677 Posts
Been there, done that! Yuk!
It is bad in the summer because everytime they get wet or it is humid out the smell emerges again!

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Brooks has been hit twice also. I used the peroxide and baking soda treatment the first time, followed by Original Scope. The second time I was too tired to deal with the problem and glop on the peroxide and baking soda mix, just used Scope followed by shampooing (and it didn't work as well)

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts