Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to get ride of them?? I did a lot of hard work trying to make the side of my yard nice...and it was looking nice. About 3 weeks ago, the dogs tore into the lawn digging, and also got into the flowers. Now, I got this darn gopher back and it has done a number on the side yard. I have tried just about everything to get ride of it. Im going to try bubble gum. I even tried lighter fluid and lit the hole on fire.

Anyone have any luck getting rid of them.......and how you did it??
I should hire Bill Murray.....LOL.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Get a westie! They were originally bred to kill small animals such as gophers, mice, rats, etc. They are capable of digging and following the animal into the ground ( to an extent). They are also the only dog to actually have vertebrae extended into their tail so that they can be safely pulled out of a hole by the tail when stuck. Their high pitch, loud barking is so that they can bark while stuck in a hole in order for their owner to find them and pull them out.

Now, all trivia aside, I have no useful advice for ya! Sorry and good luck with your gopher problem!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
We had this issue a few weeks ago.

My dad LOVES his yard. He bought some gas bombs and put them in the whole covering both entrances. Haven't seen the gopher since...

:(

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We had this issue a few weeks ago.

My dad LOVES his yard. He bought some gas bombs and put them in the whole covering both entrances. Haven't seen the gopher since...

:(
I tried the gas bombs too. I used the traps.....they don't work. I tried poison in the front yard (not in the backyard though).....they are still here. I also tried castor oil. Now my back yard...I love my backyard too. Its just torn up now. It seems like this entire valley has a problem with these gophers. I thought of sticking propane or gas down the hole.....but I would blow up the entire neighborhood....LOL. Can't do that!

I really hope your gophers don't come back. Your dad will get nuts with it like I am.....LOL. :bowl:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
We dont' have gophers, we have Chipmunks!! Holes and holes the little critters go in and out. I have placed the dogs poop in the holes thinking that would stop them and it did for that hole, they just made another one further down the yard. :doh:

All kidding a side. Anyone ever use one of those boxes that give a high pitch sound to drive them away? Wonder if that would work? Then again the dogs may not appriciate it!

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
A good way to hold back the moles (are gophers and moles the same?) is to kill the grubs they eat. We noticed that when we sprayed the yard for ticks, fleas, ants and grubs, the moles ebbed. We had soooo many.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A good way to hold back the moles (are gophers and moles the same?) is to kill the grubs they eat. We noticed that when we sprayed the yard for ticks, fleas, ants and grubs, the moles ebbed. We had soooo many.

I think maybe I should try the castor oil again. That kills the grubs. It only keeps them away for a short time. It only kills the grubs but not the gophers. So, the gophers keep coming back.

Oh....and I tried the buzzing things that you put in the ground that vibrates. This gopher digs right next to it. I also tried the wind spinners. :doh:

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
lol that kinda makes me sad..
Lol. It was sad!

I tried the gas bombs too. I used the traps.....they don't work. I tried poison in the front yard (not in the backyard though).....they are still here. I also tried castor oil. Now my back yard...I love my backyard too. Its just torn up now. It seems like this entire valley has a problem with these gophers. I thought of sticking propane or gas down the hole.....but I would blow up the entire neighborhood....LOL. Can't do that!

I really hope your gophers don't come back. Your dad will get nuts with it like I am.....LOL. :bowl:
Lol. You must have the crazy Santa clarita gophers. Traps didn't work either?! What about flooding the holes? Did you try that?

My dad WAS obsessed with the gopher for at least a week after the gas bomb. It was pretty sad.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
If you can't get them in a trap to release them someplace else you probably will have to make an appointment for them with Smith & Wesson.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts