Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Julie was spayed last Thursday--her stitches were looking great--now I am not happy with how they look. The incision does not look infected--but does look like it is inflamed.

They are still all there--(for now) the vet said keep her still for 7 days (yeah right!) --

Until I can get her to the vet--I squirted betadine on the incision and locked her in her crate. She is not happy about this and has turned it over several times.....she is quieter now--but good grief dog!

How in the Sam Hill do you keep a six month old puppy still, quiet and not chewing/scratching at stitches?

I am considering duct taping socks to her feet and putting a muzzle on her....lol

·
Reyna 1997 to 2004
2,720 Posts
Keeping a puppy quiet is hard enough. Keeping one quiet when you have other playmates around is a daunting task!

Did they give you an e-collar (elizabethan collar/cone)? That would help but it sure does a number on your shins when they run into you with it.

We had to keep Brandy quiet for a full month when she had her exploratory liver surgery & spay at 9 months old, and then again for another month when she had her vulvaplasty at about 12 months old.

Kenneling was about the best way we found for keeping her quiet. For the vulvaplasty, I also had to give her mild tranquilizers because she was sitting and scooting on the incision.

·
My Golden Is Hotter!
533 Posts
GET HER A BONE!! A BIG ONE!! One she can chew for hours ?? This is the day I'm dreading with mine... I hate the form you have to sign... I wish there was a better way to do this..

I hope it looks better and she gets well soon!!

·
Banned
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someone else asked me about the collar--and were surprised they did not give me one.

I think I will keep the poor thing crated as much as I can--since her stitches are due to come out in 3 days anyway. I was worried she might bust the whole thing open and bleed to death or some other horror the first couple days.

A big bone is a great idea!

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Abbie had internal stitches and 6 staples...... She was spayed on a Tuesday and by Sat they removed the last 2 staples , she managed to get them out..... (moving around) They did the staples because they knew she wasnt going to sit still unless we knocked her out.... the area became imflamed and they started her on antibotics(sp) I dont remeber what they called it but something was going on inside... you might want to call the vet....she did 10 days worth and it was fine after that......

·
Banned
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah--our silly dogs! They did send her home with antibiotics--and she just finished a week of Keflex before the surgery for a cold she got---who knew dogs get colds?

I spend more on this dogs health care than mine! Which is why I was advising that young poster on another thread to put some money aside just for the vet care--for some reasons Goldens are just not cheap.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I know the feeling..... I have an account for each one with equal $'s in there incase something comes up......

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm with Princess Bella--get a HUGE bone or fill a kong with food and freeze it. Something that keeps them busy for a long while.

I hate e-collars, they are so cumbersome and uncomfortable--for the dog, too. ;) I finally found a site that sells soft e-collars--a much better option. Of course, at this point it's probably too late to order one for Julie.

But for future reference: Soft-E-Collar (Elizabethan Collar Alternative)

Good luck with Julie! :wave:

·
Banned
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did take your advice and went straight to the butcher and got some bones. I also got a more sturdy crate. I hate to waste money by having to change crate sizes as she grows--which is why I had a portable foldup one like a tent kinda--

I know the crate should let her move around but keep her still too.

·
Banned
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good news--she got her stitches out today--vet said everything was fine.

She had messed with them enough that the skin kinda folded around the original suture site--but promised she will be fine.

Thank God! first time I ever went to the vet it did not cost me another 200 bucks!

She is one happy dog now--her pool has water in it again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts